Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Turkey - REheating on bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Turkey - REheating on bbq

Hi
    so I’m following meatheads and chefsteps method to Sous Vide my turkey but I need to SV it early by a day or two and want to finish on the Weber (with SNS) on day of consumption.
    I was planning on SV at 140 for 12-24 hrs then will be in fridge for a day before firing up the grill. Need advice on grill temp / approach, and what final temp to take turkey to? Plus, should I inject with brine before throwing on grill?
    Thanks!

1- brine: no. Brine before Sous Vide if you’re so inclined.

2- reheat to about 135. Maybe 140. That’s a comfortable and hot mouth temp.

3- why so long? There’s not much collagen to break down. Poultry generally needs pasteurization minimum times for Sous Vide.

4- are you doing it whole or in pieces, that makes a big difference. If in pieces, I’d do the dark meat first at 165xmaybe 4. Whatever ChefSteps says. Then, dial it down to 145, add the white meat for its time, along with the dark. Lower temp for a few hours won’t do anything but help the dark meat. If doing whole, reconsider.

Comment

• jecucolo
      jecucolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Generally you don’t inject brine. You might Injecting some butter. If the turkey is a regular grocery store turkey it is usually already brined. I haven’t sous vide a turkey but I would cook them at 300-325 to help crisp up the skin.

• Britt
      Britt commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m pretty much following the chefsteps/meathead method for SV. So, I carved the turkey into breasts and legs/thighs. The concern I had is that I bought the turkey lightly frozen on Saturday, unpacked it (probably should not have) and had it in fridge until this AM when I carved it. I was concerned of contamination so I was going to start cook today, prob 12-14 hrs at 140 like meathead say...

• Britt
      Britt commented
      Editing a comment
      The turkey is lightly salted/sugar, in the vacuum seal bags in fridge now. think the turkey will be ok in the bags for another day so I can start cook on wed night and then go straight to grill on Thursday??

Why would you inject brine after the turkey has been cooked?

As far as the re-heating, all you are doing on the grill is bringing it up to eating temp. So anything 130 or over would be a good temp but keep it below cooking temp (and i'm not sold on 140 deg being the right temp for turkey but I digress). Heat it up on indirect heat, then to crisp up the skin, go over direct heat for a few min until the skin is browned

Comment

I 'third in' on the 'no brine' - not at all if there's any verbiage on the bird's packaging about '~ up to 7% weight from ....additional fluids' - that's a factory brine. You don't want it to be salty.

You could torch the skin with a propane burner - I'm considering using the big one for deicing sidewalks. Seriously - a few quick shots. 'QuaWooooooooooooooo' done.

Comment

Britt you could also do the Sous Vide cook today, Shock it cold in ice water after the cook, and then finish it on the grill on Thursday.

ChefSteps does the light meat at 131 and the dark meat at anywhere from 140-167. At least in the Joule app. Haven’t looked at the recipe here. But keep that duality (light meat is always a lower temp than the dark meat... though you could go 140 for maybe 12h on the light and 24 on the dark for tender steaky dark).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here