Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide prime beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide prime beef ribs

About to start sous vide 4.5 lb rack of prime beef ribs. Plan to sous vide 48 hours then sear on weber genesis gas grill.
    What is the best sous vide water temp for this cook?

Here is a link to Anova's recipe for rib roasts, should be the same for the ribs unless you want to do them a la short ribs: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...vide-prime-rib

Comment

That time seems a bit long to me. And I'd be going low - 135 probably. It's loin after all.

But ... haven't done it, so this is speculation.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        But you're awfully good at speculation...

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Loin? I thought it was prime beef rib he was cooking

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Almost the same thing wrt to cooking approach, right? Just more forward or backward for the labeling?

I’d go 135 until they are tender enough. Probably take 48-72 hours at that temp, but you should check them.

Be sure to save the purge and make a sauce for them and pat them dry and finish over coals for a crust, then sauce and cook indirect until the sauce sets.

Id consider QVQ for them but that’s way more effort than a straight slow smoke process.

Comment

I’m looking forward to you reporting back what you decided and what the results are

Comment

• Lesp
        Lesp commented
        Editing a comment
        Ended up following Chef Steps recipe for Bomb Braised short ribs. Seared first in 2 black iron skillets on blazing hot Weber gas grill, then into the Sous Vide at 167 degrees for 26 hours. Served with Polenta. It was fantastic!
        Next time will try Meatheads Meaty Beef Ribs with Rosemary Wine Sauce.

Just in from my buddy :145 degrees for 36 hours. Made a glaze brown sug, ketchup, soy, teriyaki, lemon and apple cider vinegar Click image for larger version

Name:	6CCF380E-2217-48B7-B68D-31987B4AEE7F.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	589831Click image for larger version

Name:	B8CB9819-6157-4668-92AF-355A4754F9B0.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	589830

Comment

Looks incredible!

Comment

I did a write up a while back on SV beef ribs, you may be interested in reading it Lesp. I took the advice of Chefsteps work on cooking them sous vide at various temperatures and at various times;

SV Ribs

I chose 144* at 48 hours, they came out really nice, perfect texture and to the tooth bite. In the article they began with temps as low as 130* but I don't prefer ribs at that degree of doneness. Much higher temps they begin to get mushy and want to shred more easily. Check out the website for more information and good luck with your cook....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs cut open.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	589896

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here