Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ and QVQ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ and QVQ question

I'm curious to find out if anyone notices an advantage of any sort should you add your rub before either SVQ or QVQ. In particular brisket flats and tri-tips.

My present method is to lightly dry brine the meats overnight and then vacuum seal and freeze until needed. If QVQ'ing I smoke naked and then freeze. They then go right from the freezer into the SV. Once out of the bath I then apply the rub and smoke until the bark is set.

I know that the SV actually extracts moisture from the meat so would there be any advantage to adding the rub before vacuum sealing?

Me personally, if it's SVQ I salt brine and into the bath, season and smoke. If it's QVQ I brine, season and smoke, then the bath, then re-season and smoke. I like the results both ways.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. I measure the salt and I’m heavy on the rub so I apply first then usually don’t even apply any more after the V step in QVQ.

I’ve experimented with only adding rub later and didn’t like the result (I think it needs to be there for the first Q).

Just did my 1st QVQ last week. Used Troutman's technique and it turned out great. A hint overdone as it tended to fall apart a bit, but nobody, including the cook, complained!

Comment

Like the others, if I QVQ, I rub and rerub with each Q step. On SVQ, it depends. If I am going to use the purge, I don’t rub before SV. If I’m after better bark, rub before and after.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        How can you go wrong agreeing with Potkettleblack ! ;-)

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Many have been led down that path.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've followed that delicious path. 😋

I just completed a 9 pound trim brisket. I Dry brined, put on BBBR, smoked it until it reached 130*, SV 52/130, put in frig for a day and then smoked it on kettle/sns until the bark firmed up. I tried to keep the internal temperature under 130 but that is a little tricky. It got up to 155 ish and I pulled it. The bark was still a little soft in the center. I then let it rest in the oven. I was very worried about it but it turned out really good. It was a medium not medium rare like I had hoped but the texture was perfect. I think in future I will only do a flat or point and not the whole brisket. The packer is just a little too much for sv!

Comment

i rub twice. Once before the first cook, whether that is smoking it or going right in the SV bath, and then I re-rub it before the final smoke. Have never bothered rubbing again post first smoke but pre-SV. I also go right from smoker to SV, not sure what there is to gain by freezing it between smoker and SV

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Just time-shifting if you need it. But you're right, doesn't really make much sense.

Thanks everyone for your input. You have helped me formulate a plan moving forward. I'm probably not unique in my situation with respect to brisket and tri-tip but I have to drive 4 hours round trip to get them from the Costco in Bellingham WA. No big deal but I usually pick up a couple packages of each. If I want them more closer to home I have to special order them and I have not found a butcher that is reasonable price wise and/or enthusiastic about bring them in.

So as far as QVQ goes I'll dry brine, apply rub and smoke to 115 or so and then vacuum seal and put in the freezer if I'm not using immediately. Same with SVQ but without the initial smoke. I then SV them right out of the freezer, shock and finish.

Can't wait. I heading down to Bellingham this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here