Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Medium Rare Brisket - Step by Step

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking the same as part 1 of your answer - cook to probe tender, maybe 190-200, hot and fast, like 400. But you reconsider and suggest that the bath being at 131 suggests I have to stop there - why?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Look, the whole idea is brisket can be cooked a number of different ways. My mother used to cook a mean brisket in a crock pot until it was fall apart delicious. I like my meat rare, yes even brisket. If you want gray meat, then cook it conventionally. I like to slice it like I would a medium rare steak. You can only achieve that via QVQ or SVQ at a low bath temp like 131*. After that, in step 3, you are just re-heating and establishing some bark, but NOT exceeding the 131* bath temp. Got it?

Hey Troutman, can you remind me, when you do this method for medium rare, how tender has it come out?

Read through this thread for the second time, still getting my mind around it. I have a Costco prime brisket ~14lbs sitting in the fridge for a few weeks now in the original vac pak, aging while I think this through, it will be my first brisket.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      As tender as roast beef. That's the beauty of having it in the SV bath for days.

zzdocxx pictures speak a thousand words. My latest batch of QVQ medium rare brisket.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Brisket 06.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	887251Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Brisket 01.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	887250Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Brisket 03 IG.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	887249

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Bottom line then, is this your go to method for brisket?

Do you feel it is better tasting overall than cooked to the 205 range, or is it more of a "different" way to cook it, that you use for variety?

Thanks!

It does indeed look yummy?

BTW, did you save and use any of the jus from the SV bag?
      Last edited by zzdocxx; July 28, 2020, 07:15 AM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Give it a try, sounds like you’re wringing your hands over doing it. I prefer brisket both conventionally and QVQ. My wife prefers medium rare meat so we probably do this method more than the other.

So here’s the bottom line, cook what’s going to satisfy you and your family.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bark is still better with a long conventional smoke. Meat is better (I think) with QVQ.

Doing a test of this method on a smaller brisket this weekend, before potentially doing it again on a large, whole packer wagyu from Snake River Farms.

Question about the double bagging - definitely doesn't hurt, but I am now curious if people have ever had bags fail on them? I have been doing sous vide for almost 10 years now and have never had a bag fail (Mostly Vacmaster bags with a VP210), but now I am getting paranoid after reading some posts on this site

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have only had bags fail when they’ve been in the freezer for a while sliding around or when the item has bones etc.

I double bag and double seal for any long bath just to be on the safe side.

It's posts like this thread that are the core of why AR is so unique. People thinking outside the box and trialling all sorts of ideas and then happily sharing their tricks with the AR community. I've been so glad I found this place, a treasure trove of facts and ideas in an interweb of bullsh#t and angst, MH for POTUS!!!
    Last edited by Stuey1515; August 28, 2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Spectacular! But how about doing it in 90 minutes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210111_182003.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	972583

Just kidding. We did corned beef in the Instant Pot tonight.

Comment

I’m going to try QVQ a brisket next week, but first I need to break down and get a plastic SV tub like the one you show for the Anova

Would you share the model or link of your tub...looks like a good one
        Last edited by dlaslo; January 15, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• KabBBQ
          KabBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I use one of the food safe Rubbermaid clear plastic tubs on Amazon. They come in various sizes and you can buy lids with pre-cut holes for the immersion circulator.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Amazon also sells Lipavi, that’s the kind in my photo. I think it’s 20 quart. I also have a Rubbermaid 12 quart but their larger models are tall instead of long.

Amazon has the 12.6 qt. VPCOK for 30% off. Looks like it’ll hold a brisket.

Comment

• sos2979
          sos2979 commented
          Editing a comment
          Coleman party stacker I got based on another article in here has worked great. Since it's insulated and seal pretty tight you don't loose much water and should be easier on your Anova. You can see part of it in my earlier post

• dlaslo
          dlaslo commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't get how you seal the party stacker on the top.

• sos2979
          sos2979 commented
          Editing a comment
          The party stacker lid fits tightly to begin with. I run my Joule through a Master Caster® Cord Away® Grommet, 2 3/8" Flexible that I got from Office Max. Just made a whole with a whole saw on the party stacker lid. Glued it in...but the glue is starting to come loose. May have to find an epoxy or something less heat sensitive.
          Last edited by sos2979; February 3, 2021, 04:35 PM.

Any thoughts on going large with a whole brisket?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Same methodology. I do smaller ones all the time. Just limited by the SV container.

Thanks. For big stuff I SV in a picnic cooler of appropriate size with my Anova Pro. So you recommend same temp, for about 60-70 hours?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, you want to keep it no more than135ish. Think of medium rare steak, that's essentially what you are doing. Of course time is directly propositional to thickness and weight. I generally do 10 to 12# briskets (after trimming fat) and 50-60 hours always produces good results.
          Last edited by Troutman; June 22, 2021, 05:33 PM.

Couple questions for the group:

Who has used this method for a more traditional brisket?

For traditional brisket:

What’s your recommendation temp goal for first Q?

Whats your recommendation temp and time for V?

Is final Q time equivalent to the first Q time? Or are you only looking to set the bark and raise the temp to that original temp goal?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack Only 24 SV for a full packer? That’s interesting. I thought everyone was saying 48-60. That simplifies things.

BTW, what did your smoke time end up being...assuming full packer, right?

Thanks

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Hotter temp reduces time. But always pinch... 275*smoke for maybe 6-7 hours... there's no stall because you're cooking hotter and you've already removed enough of the moisture to keep the evaporative cooling to a minimum.

I think they Stupido Passed this video: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-ribs-your-way

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          In that page, if you can (if you can't these are on youtube)...
          158x16 looks good for the short rib, 158x24 looks better.

OK OK yes I Aint to pretty smart but what the blue blazes is QVQ I know kinda by reading "cuz there weren't enough pictures" tried to look it up but I'm sure some one out there can enlighten me

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          That's it, is this a new term I never heard of it. curious why isn't it QSVQ I guess we all don't have enough time in our busy lives. THANK YOU for getting back and clarifying 😎😎😎

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Once upon a time, the mixture of sous vide and smoking didn't have set terms, and people were trying to mix sous vide and barbecue... I think most folks settled on Sous-B-Cue or Sous-Vide-Cue, because it fit the rhythm of bar-be-cue. That got shortened to SVQ... then we added the first smoke, and it became QVQ for that, to differentiate.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm pretty sure the QVQ term was invented here.

On both ends Q is to get to a temp goal and not exceed it. Time is however long that takes. In the Q steps you are adding smoke and setting bark, but all the tenderization (the part that requires time under temp) is accomplished in the V (sous vide) step. For this method, the internal temp should never exceed the SV temp at any step.

For a more traditional texture you can go with 150F as your target. (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...risket-recipe/). My personal default is 135F x 72 hrs.

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for the get back 😎😎😎

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea Polarbear777 was one of our '"pioneers" in developing and naming the QVQ method for medium rare brisket. I leave mine in a little less time wise but experiment with a variety of times if you are really interested.

I've been playing with this and IMHO smoking and rubbing before the SV has little impact on the final product. Most of the smoke and rub come off in the bag. I think salting in advance is essential. If you need a smoke ring then you must smoke first because you can't get it after the SV step. But I skip the rub and first smoke, personally. Otherwise this is a great thread!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you cooking to medium rare? I find the pre-smoke is more for bark development than the smoke flavor since the meat never sits in the smoker very long before or after. But hey, whatever works for you. It does save a step for sure. If I go traditional finish then no argument, the pre-smoke is a waste of time.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I am grateful for your lead and I will likely have my recipe in my next book and give a nod to you.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MH, appreciate the gesture.
          Last edited by Troutman; March 24, 2022, 04:57 AM.

For storage after sous vide before the final smoke, is everyone leaving the brisket in the purge, or draining off and re-vacuum packing?

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Since it should be effectively pasteurized in the SV bag, I think it’s safer to chill quickly and refrigerate leaving it in the same bag. I suppose you could unbag and let it dry in the fridge if you wanted to add rub etc and were cooking it same day, but I wouldn’t re-bag to store.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here