Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Medium Rare Brisket - Step by Step

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wowser. That’s aggressive and something I must try!

Comment

I have been wanting to try this since I started doing some sous videQ. However you gave me a great idea of smoking before and after sous vide which I think is key. I would think this method could really help the BBQ restaurant industry and keep them from running out of meat since fridge could keep a backlog of meat. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Boy that looks good.

Comment

Looks awesome . Thanks for sharing .

Comment

Request sticky

Comment

Follow up on my QVQ session. Took a nice 11 3/4 lb Costco Prime packer and did some triming. Reduced to around 7 lbs (rendered a lot of the fat for some great Beef Love!).
              Did the dry brine and gave it 24 hours in the fridge. Made a modified Meathead BBR (cut the black pepper a bit) and cut the packer into 2 chunks - point and flat. I figured they will go into the SV separate - might as well get a bit of bark on the cut parts ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5022235.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	673790

Into the KBQ running around 260F with Hickory and some Cherry. The flat got to 130F in around 2 hours. the point maybe 30 mins later. Here is the juicy Point.

Name:	P5022238.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	673791

Took them out and did Troutman trick of double vacuum sealing.

Name:	P5022239.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	673792

Into the hot tub running at 135F.
              I will take them out early Sunday morning (around60 hours), shock chill and do the final smoke on Monday.

Im thinking of just re-heating/smoking the point on Monday. I just might freeze the flat and do the re-heat/smoke another day.

In the mean time, I hate to just cook 1 meat in my KBQ. So, bought a few chicken halves and my local store, put some Memphis Dust overnight and put them in after the brisket was done. Switched over to Cherry and Apple wood for a few hours.

I am a big fan of Meatheads MMD for chicken. Adds some nice sweetness and a savory BBQ accents. If you haven't tried Memphis Dust with chicken, do a few and see how it goes.

Had these for dinner :-)

Name:	P5022240.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	673793

Dinner was a success!

Comment

• lostclusters
                lostclusters commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you remember how you had the ports set?

Stickied and moved to the SV channel since this is more about how to SV a brisket than brisket itself.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like a post in the beef channel with just a hyperlink to this thread would be appropriate.

Great write up. I use a similar technique for brisket and prefer it by a wide margin to traditional brisket. There’s just nothing quite like it.

Comment

Wrap up post on my attempt at Troutman 's QVQ. Took the initial smoked brisket out of the hot tub around 60 hours at 135F. Did the shock chill and put the point in the fridge - and the flat in the freezer. Wanted to see how a frozen version/step would work and frankly had more then enough meat on the point for dinner and some fine leftovers.

As Troutman recommended, took the point out, did a bit of a pat dry and then added another dose of Meat Head BBBR.

Name:	P5072250.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	677244

Fired up the KBQ using a mix of cherry and apple. Point internal was around 48F! Started the KBQ around 225F and left it for an hour.
                Did a few spritz, point internal was getting to 90F so I boosted the KBQ to around 260F and let her roll until the points internal temp hit 135F. Also threw on an onion on during the last hour!

Name:	P5072252.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	677245

Brought it into the kitchen for some slicing and eating! Took some of the layer fat off, but man was this brisket tender and juicy

Name:	P5072253.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	677246

Great smokey, rich flavor and an almost melt in your mouth tenderness.

My take away and observations:

1) Overall, this cook took around 5 days - 1 day smoking for a few hours (easy). 2 1/2 days in the SV bath then 1 day to do the final few hour re-heat and smoke.
                Compared to a single, all day, tend the KBQ every 20 mins effort - well worth the planning.
                2) The flavor and texture were great - one of the best I have made.
                3) We shall see how the frozen flat turns out in a month. Hopefully will be just as juicy and tasty! My kids will be visiting and will be the testers ;-). But, the ability to take the frozen brisket out that morning, get it on the smoker a few hours before dinner sounds too good to be true ;-)

I will definitely do this again!

Comment

• JGrana
                  JGrana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF, For the initial Q, I set both top and bottom - wide open.
                  For the second smoke, I did full bottom and the top just cracked.
                  IMHO, the smoke was spot on. Not overpowering, but nicely there

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

• ddmcwhirter
                  ddmcwhirter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is beautiful! I tried to sous vide a flat, but this Anova I'd bought would not run for more than about six hours. About the fourth attempt, woke up to room temperature and threw it into the smoker for a regular 200F cook. I just need to remember to get a better heater. Pastrami must be outrageous also!

Man does that look good!!! Nice write up and post.. I think I am going to have to get a SV thingy..

Comment

I've only done one brisket, with good (not excellent) results. Next one I think I'll do it as you did. It looks superb! I like the idea of splitting, SV and then freeze a portion. I really don't need a whole brisket for just my wife and i; though the last one I made a chili with the leftovers and still have some of that in the deep freeze - I really liked that chili. Thanks for sharing and great job! I looks kinda like the brisket I had on my sandwich yesterday at local butcher/deli; meat and marbling kinda gel like smooth and tender.

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

After SVing and an ice bath, how long do you think the vac-sealed brisket would safely keep in the fridge before going for the final Q-session?

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've made the first step through the SV and shock one weekend, then waited up to 5 days to do the final smoking. Generally I don't do that, I time the SV bath to coincide with when I want my meal to be served, not the other way around.

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        For a very very long time assuming good vac seal and long SV bath.

• T-bone
                        T-bone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Gentlemen! I appreciate the advice. Troutman I'm trying to cover two events with one QV and then a final Qing day of the events. The events are only separated by 5 days so I should be ok.

Originally posted by T-bone View Post
                      After SVing and an ice bath, how long do you think the vac-sealed brisket would safely keep in the fridge before going for the final Q-session?
                      New guy here. I'm more of a sous vide guy than a smoking food guy, but I'm a big fan of both methods of cooking. Douglas Baldwin has a ton of scientific info on sous vide cooking and food safety. Here's the link, the table of contents is super helpful.

To answer your question specifically, Baldwin says that fully pasteurized meats should be safe to eat for 3-4 weeks as long as 1) they are kept in their vacuum sealed packaging 2) are chilled properly in an ice bath immediately after sous vide and 3) are stored below 38 degrees in the fridge.

There is a table for pasteurization times for beef, the very long sous vide time for medium rare brisket is definitely long enough to fully pasteurize the meat.

Comment

• T-bone
                        T-bone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome to The Pit and thanks for the great info and link!

I read the whole post this time. Well done! I mean the post not the meat.

Thanks for the simple yet detailed descriptions from seasoning to the final Q. I need to start QVQ for big beef.

Beautiful ring. That comes from the first Q I assume. My meat is good, tender but no show-off ring.

Great photos. Man I need to replace my old banged up camera. I've noticed that the focus is off; could be the lens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here