Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Medium Rare Brisket - Step by Step

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Donw well thankya! Glad you enjoyed em. I sure do!

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Also want to give a shout out to texastweeter . Did those Cowboy beans per your instructions and they were outstanding. They are going to be a staple around here from now on.🙂

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Don, know it's up to you to spread the love !!!

• Donw
    replied
    Just had to comment on what an eye opening thread this has been. On the 3rd I dry brined a brisket flat I had purchased from Porter Road. On the 4th I rubbed it with Hank’s Beef rub and smoked it to 150F. Then put it in the bath double sealed at 155F for several day until pulling it before Saturday dinner so it could spend more time in the smoker.

It was a hands down winner. Moist, flavorful, and tender with just the right tug. No stressing if I would be ready for dinner time and I got to spend all day with my guests without worrying about what was going on with the smoker. As a bonus I kept using the sous vide bath to reheat bags of pulled pork I had prepared on the 4th for other meals over the weekend.

This is going to be my standard preparation when I have a lot of guests over for a weekend. Hats off to you Troutman for bringing this subject to our attention and providing clear instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I must remember not to skip step 2....

• Michael Brinton
    replied
    Just reactivated my pitmaster membership and this thread made it more than worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I think QVQ is the best treatment for the flat.

• brew7353
    replied
    That looks great I can't wait to try it.But I was thinking of using the flat as that tends to dry out sometimes.
    Last edited by brew7353; July 24, 2019, 05:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    155 will yield a more traditional brisket finish.
    And based on my reading, adding wood to both ends of the process on the PBC would yield more smoke.

• Troutman
    replied
    Excellent job my friend!! It is a departure from low and slow brisket. Next time I’d suggest just doing a flat, you seemed happy with that result.

As to Clint’s SVQ, the Pit has jointly gone beyond his and others like his to develop the QVQ alternative. We feel it’s superior in that your first pre-Smoke is key to getting a better finish. Meat, when cold and damp, takes on the most Smokey flavor. Once pre-smoked, you’re ready for the bath. Post smoke simply resets the bark and reheats the meat for service.

His lacks that critical first step, otherwise it’s basically the same thing.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here