Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Medium Rare Brisket - Step by Step

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack Only 24 SV for a full packer? That’s interesting. I thought everyone was saying 48-60. That simplifies things.

BTW, what did your smoke time end up being...assuming full packer, right?

Thanks

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman Ahhh! Thanks for that distinction. That makes sense.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea Polarbear777 was one of our '"pioneers" in developing and naming the QVQ method for medium rare brisket. I leave mine in a little less time wise but experiment with a variety of times if you are really interested.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I will emphasis again that I do urge an initial Q smoking IF you desire a medium rare finish. You don't have the ability to keep the brisket at medium rare temps for very long on the smoker so getting as much bark as possible before and after your bath is essential in my opinion.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I'm going to be lazy and not look up his posting, but Meathead did some experimenting with SVQ of traditional brisket cooking and came to the conclusion there was no discernable difference in the final outcome by doing an initial Q smoking. I tend to agree with him. Just SV to the appropriate time and temp suggested then do a final smoke to probe tender.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the QVQ term was invented here.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Back on the first page of this post Troutman gives times and temps

• Papa Bob
    commented on 's reply
    thanks for the get back 😎😎😎

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Once upon a time, the mixture of sous vide and smoking didn't have set terms, and people were trying to mix sous vide and barbecue... I think most folks settled on Sous-B-Cue or Sous-Vide-Cue, because it fit the rhythm of bar-be-cue. That got shortened to SVQ... then we added the first smoke, and it became QVQ for that, to differentiate.

• Papa Bob
    commented on 's reply
    That's it, is this a new term I never heard of it. curious why isn't it QSVQ I guess we all don't have enough time in our busy lives. THANK YOU for getting back and clarifying 😎😎😎

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    For that, for the first Q, I'd probably go to 145-160... just get some bark going. Then SV at 155 for maybe 24 hours, maybe less... pinch test being your friend. Then, smoke at 275-325 until it looks right.

I did an SVQ like this recently, where I skipped the first smoke, rubbed, sous vided at 155 for a day, shocked and fridged, then rerubbed and smoked to 180 or so to get the bark where I wanted. Was solid. A pre-smoke would probably improve it.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    On both ends Q is to get to a temp goal and not exceed it. Time is however long that takes. In the Q steps you are adding smoke and setting bark, but all the tenderization (the part that requires time under temp) is accomplished in the V (sous vide) step. For this method, the internal temp should never exceed the SV temp at any step.

For a more traditional texture you can go with 150F as your target. (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...risket-recipe/). My personal default is 135F x 72 hrs.

Leave a comment:

• rodkeary
    commented on 's reply
    QVQ = (smoke to start, sous vide, smoke to finish)
    SVQ = (sous vide, smoke to finish)

• Papa Bob
    replied
    OK OK yes I Aint to pretty smart but what the blue blazes is QVQ I know kinda by reading "cuz there weren't enough pictures" tried to look it up but I'm sure some one out there can enlighten me

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    replied
    Couple questions for the group:

Who has used this method for a more traditional brisket?

For traditional brisket:

What’s your recommendation temp goal for first Q?

Whats your recommendation temp and time for V?

Is final Q time equivalent to the first Q time? Or are you only looking to set the bark and raise the temp to that original temp goal?

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here