Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Chuck Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Chuck Roast

So I did a sous vide chuck roast over the weekend - 3 1/2 pound roast. No pics - I have to get in the habit of taking them to post. I wasn't able to get it on the pit before the bath, so I cut it in half, rubbed with some Hanks Bonafide Beef Rub, let them sit for a couple of hours, vacuum sealed them and put them in at 138 degrees for 30 hours. A thunderstorm came up just as they finished so I browned them in a CI pan, chopped one of them and made some cheese steak sandwiches (sauteed vidalia onions, yellow and red bell peppers, sliced portabellas, pepper jack cheese). Turned out pretty good, we really like the flavor of the rub. One change will be that next time I will lower the temp to around 132. They came out on the well done side of medium, not as pink as we like it. We like the sous vide though, we have an Anova.

Cool, this is the first I've heard of my rub being used in a SV cook. I'm glad you like it

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I used it this week for QVQ pastrami Henrik. Came out pretty good !!!!

Yep, Henrik, it was pretty good. When I tasted it out of the jar I thought it was a little salty - probably because we use very little salt - but it wasn't salty on the meat. I thought it had a pretty subtle flavor that really just brought out the beefiness of the chuck, if that makes any sense. I messed up and didn't use the drippings out of the sous vide bag to make a sauce though - wasn't thinking and poured it out. I bet that would have been excellent.

Comment

I do chuck medium rare, pre-smoke to 115* then in a 132* bath for 22 hours then a post smoke after an ice bath. Comes out tender as steak !!

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman, I got busy before the sv and couldn't get it on the smoker. Then it started to rain at the 30 hour mark... It was a little over at 138 so I won't do that again, but I will definitely move the chuck from the slow cooker to the qvq method from now on.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here