Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Sous Vide time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Sous Vide time

I'm trying my first pork belly and I'm using the recipe from this site. It calls for 16 hours at 165. I have cooked it for about 12 hours at 165, but I need to leave it in the water for up to 22 hours because of unexpected scheduling issues. Can I lower the temp to 149 (from another recipe) and let the belly cook for 22 hours? Thanks!

You can as far as safety is concerned.

For collagen breakdown that is why I want a temp conversion chart. I may need to make one.

Your plan sounds okay at first glance.

Comment

Should be fine.

I wouldnt do 165 to start, but whatever.

Comment

That was the temp in the Amazing Ribs recipe. I am a newbie to sous vide, so I don't know any different. What temp would you recommend?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a long standing disagreement with the author of that recipe about process that I don’t really wish to revisit. 24x149 will produce a tender, steaky belly. 24x158 will be tender and juicy. 145x24 is about where I roll.

I have been working hard to perfect pork belly this summer. the best I have made so far was this last weekend. I have been cutting into smaller sizes I would guess this one was roughly 5" x 12". I give it a liberal coating of my favorite pork rub then smoke at 165 for 1hr. I usually do a few at a time then vacuum seal and freeze until ready. From there I sous vide it for 12hrs at 145. I then pull it out and throw it in the fridge for a few while I reduce down the liquid. Once ready to eat I throw it on a screaming hot grill for some color and slice it thin. Pour the now reduced sauce over the top and enjoy the most tender melt in your mouth, smoky delicious pork you have ever had. shown here with grilled zucchini. Click image for larger version

Name:	pork belly.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	557489

Comment

Thank you. 145x24 is where I'm rolling next time. Jacmac, that looks awesome!

Comment

• jacmac422
            jacmac422 commented
            Editing a comment
            keep in mind that is a small chunk, if you were doing a whole pork belly you would probably need to be around 48hrs or more.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thickness is the determining factor, so as long as you haven’t filleted the belly, it’s the same time for a larger piece or a smaller piece.

Mixing temps is a very science thing. Yes is my answer because you started at a higher temp. However, there is no way to know how the fat will break down. That responds more to heat. Try it. It won't be a fail if you don't tell anyone. If it turns out too jelly, turn it into something (chop it and serve on toast with garnish). If too tough, turn it into something.

Enjoy and make mistakes turn into applause!

Comment

It actually came out pretty good! I broiled it on both sides and it was tender and very tasty. I'll try again and use the 145/24 combo next time. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here