Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawk steak: never not sous vide again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomahawk steak: never not sous vide again

Here's a 6 hour Tomahawk steak (warmed on the counter 3 hours), finished on the grill.

HINT: use the rib rack to hold steaks on the edge to sear the edges! Also, have a spray bottle as the fat is soft so it will flare up.

I have found that for such large cuts as this over 2" steak that salting is a good thing but for maybe only 3-4 hours to get it in the meat and not too much. The salt has hours left in the sous vide penetrate. I like to put dashes of Worcestershire in the bag too. Most likely a mental thing as I doubt it flavors the meat. But hey, if I taste my optimistic thoughts so much better!

This was sous vide in a basic 11" stock pot with a lid from Amazon. Anyone want to buy ping pong balls that were exposed to heat and water?
    Attached Files

That looks awesome!

Comment

This site needs to support multimedia that includes aroma and taste. This post is begging for it...

Comment

• Moscuba
        Moscuba commented
        Editing a comment
        I think if you lick the screen the taste comes through. Oh sorry, only on Windows 98.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I need the plug-ins for screen licking...

I just might even eat that myself.
      Beautiful.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

• Moscuba
          Moscuba commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice catch. Lake Minnetonka? Fall is coming: good time for cold smoked fish. Salmon Mi Cuit is what i'm known for. Cold smoked and finished in 105 degree sous vide for 25 minutes. I need to hide from the French though as they would never add smoke. Cheers!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am about a 1/4 mile from the lake, but I caught this one in MT.I am headed up to Alaska in about to a week to crush some Silvers. Moscuba

I’ve been eyeing these tomahawk’s at Sam’s Club - and figured a reverse sear or sous vide was the only way to cook a 3+ inch steak. Great looking steak!

Comment

• Moscuba
          Moscuba commented
          Editing a comment
          Only get a tomahawk at a good butcher and most will need it ordered. It's expensive but unless everyone eats a huge portion of steak a large custom cut tomahawk will feed four with a plate full of potatoes and other good things.

Those tomahawks look fantastic. I’ve not cooked them but since the 1st steak (New York cut) I SVed and seared I’ve not cooked one any other way. Without a doubt the easiest best tasting, perfect medium rare steaks ever.

Comment

• Moscuba
          Moscuba commented
          Editing a comment
          Consistent. Tomahawk is several cuts of meat. The toughest is by the bone. The trick is to cook it long enough to heat through by the bone without turning the rare meat into a bad texture. Sous vide does the job. But, that's why i do let the meat warm before bagging to take some chill off the bone. Buying fresh from a meat market makes me feel very safe in doing that.. They are a total splurge.

Thank you very much. I just killed my keyboard by drooling all over it.

Comment

Fabulous looking steak. They are so sexy with the full rib attached, unfortunately you're paying money per pouind for bone...but hey that's a whole other topic.

Question, I'm confused by your cook description. You say 6 hours (what total bath/sear time?) and warm on the counter for 3 hours? What does 'warm' mean, rest? Regardless the end result looks amazing.

Comment

• Moscuba
            Moscuba commented
            Editing a comment
            I sat it on the counter under a lid to take the chill off the bone prior to cooking. The bone is a big issue in getting the meat to temp. The cooking was Sous Vide for six hours. I don't count the grill finish as that really does not get into more than maybe 3/8" of meat.
            Last edited by Moscuba; August 28, 2018, 05:28 PM.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Got ya. Again good lookin hunk of beef well cooked !!

• Moscuba
            Moscuba commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, I see you are "Recipe Director". This may be interesting to you. I purchased a very large beef roast from a great butcher BUT I just took what was in the case. I usually order fresh meat for long sous vide. The roast rotted. That was a first and that was the only time I took what was aging a few days in the case. It smelled fine. The meat I'm sure was fine to normal BBQ or oven roasting. Sous Vide for extended periods needs fresh meat. I never use frozen for large cuts.

looks great!!! My sous vide cooker is the best 100$ I've spent! feels like your cheating

Comment

Nice!! No room for anything else on the plate. Good job.

Comment

• Moscuba
              Moscuba commented
              Editing a comment
              Hee Hee Hee. No way to photo that thing with sides. I was going to put it n a platter but I liked how it made that rather large plate look small. Cheers Skip!

Great article. "...But hey, if I taste my optimistic thoughts so much better!" This sentence really hit me. There is so much enthusiasm amongst all of us that Optimism must reign supreme in BBQ!!

I must say That I do not us my sous vide enough. I need to make room for it so that I will use it more often!

Pictures are great

Comment

• Moscuba
              Moscuba commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I love subtle flavors and hope to hear someone ask "what's that?". My go to is Nutmeg: if there is a white dairy product in the dish I need to ask why i wouldn't put in a subtle grind of nutmeg. So I'll keep doing the Worcestershire!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here