Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help. Bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll leave you to it then.

Comment

Bet you cant HTTM some jerkey...

Comment

Here's an idea. I saw a recipe for sous vide brownies. From the photos/videos, they look kind of gooey. You might be able to modify the recipe and make a sweet bread of some sort. The recipe used a small baking dish with a plastic lid. Here's a link to a video.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂😂😂

With yeasted bread, one thing you need is room for it to rise while bak - er - sving. If you place the dough in a water bath, you will be restricting the bread's ability to rise. I guess it could work, but I'll believe it when I see it. Good luck Jon. And please keep us posted.
        Last edited by RonB; July 29, 2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          This was Jon poking fun at SV. He is no longer a member.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          He always had a "dry" sense of humor! Nyok-nyok!

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the term Sving. think Sven but make it Sveeeng

Bread in general is baked by displacing moisture, the exact opposite of S-V. But,I'm sure that a steamed bread; i.e. Boston Brown bread,etc. could be cooked with a S-V. The S-V folks say that you can cook a custard in one so why not something a little heavier.
        Here's a basic recipe to start. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...own-bread.html

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          Custards are SUPER easy. but that gives me an idea.

OK, try this. use a large, straight sided jar, well oiled. you can put your dough in the jar. leave the jar about 2/3 empty or less. close to fingertip tight and drop the jar in the water. turn on your water and let it go. the bread will expand to fill the jar's empty space as the air in the jar is heated and escape from the jar lid. same principle as hot water bath canning. frankly, you could also do this IN a hot water canner.

Custards are amazingly easy done sous vide. mix em up, pour them into canning jars, adjust the jar to fingertip tight, drop them in the drink and cook to 180 degrees. let cool and pop in the fridge
        Last edited by Karon Adams; July 30, 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          PS, you can do a risen cake this way, as well.

I think Stella Parks has the correct answer, even though she's answering the dessert question (and even though she's wrong about a couple things).

Here's where she's wrong:
        Stirring. Meringues, puddings and custards come out brilliantly, with less effort.
        Caramelization: You can actually caramelize the sugars in dairy with sous vide, producing butterscotch type flavors. It's 24 hours, but it would work as a pre-treat to improve any caramel you were gonna make with it, or make a fun whipped cream.
        Reduction: You can cook many things sans-vide... I'm tempted to take a run at her swiss meringue, just because she touts it as a sous vide problem in many places.

I mean, Aki at Ideas In Food made a whole egg meringue with a sous vide step: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in...e-13-2016.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here