Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HouseHomey sending up the Bat Signal for PKB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HouseHomey sending up the Bat Signal for PKB

Potkettleblack et all...

I was shopping for fruit and accidently put these short ribs in my cart. I am going to SV them now (11:25 pst) and cook them tomorrow. Since I'm goona cook these tommow I may as well add a spatchcocked free range organic Yadah yadah yadah chicken to the grill that must have been added by the checkout girl.

My plan. SV short ribs all day today only. No overnight (don't ask, freaks out swambo, daughter of an arson investigator with all the horror stories) SV cooking. Chili tonigh. Start cooker early AM add coal after first batch is out of the kettle (5 to 6 hours) then cook chicken hot while ribs rest.

Or something close. I may just smoke the chicken. IM OPEN my point is I only have tonight and they are not horribly thick and boneless.

MY QUESTION: what temp? High 150° , low 135°.

I sincerely appreciate all ya'llz help.
    HH

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	517065

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	517063

Attached Files

I’d love to help Homey but I haven’t SV’d short ribs before. It is great to see your on the meat train again. 👊🏻

Comment

Not really into the HTTM thing, so I cant help you there, but if you wanna smoke them for a bit, then finish them in a braise they go GREAT on top of a pile of mashed potatoes or polenta!

Comment

Hey HH, I haven't SV'd beef short ribs (yet ... there's some just waiting in the freezer) so I can't offer much in the way of personal advice. However, here's a great discussion of the range of SV options from the folks at ChefSteps that might tide you over until PKB can respond:

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MB!

If you want to go short like that, 180x8h. The chefsteps link above has that combo I think. 12 would be better. That’ll get you braisey texture. Going lower, like 155-165x12 will get you a different ending that might work a bit better on the smoker.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking lower would work but just didn't have the experience with it in the SV. I guess this is an experiment. I settled on 141.1. We shall see.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope it works well. 140-145 seems to be the magic territory of bad results.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          They went for 9 hours yesterday and I'll put it them back in for another 8 hours at 160° then to the cooker.. "magic territory" yikes! Thank you for the wisdom.

As far as the overnight SV, I had the same apprehensions as Mrs. HouseHomey and for the same reasons and similar background. But, the thing is sitting in pot of water so, in my mind anyway, it's self-limiting if something untoward should happen. With that, however, starting a load in the dryer and then leaving the house is strictly verboten! If I had a nickel for every dryer fire I've been on....oh wait, I guess I do....several nickels actually..... Let us know how it all turns out, my butcher has these most of the time and I was thinking of giving them the SV treatment as well. BTW, did you get the hat?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't worry about the SV as a fire hazard, assuming you have one of the reputable brands. I've done 3 day with no issues. Just make sure you check the water level periodically. My wife is a fire paranoid - for good reasons. She's ok with it.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF once again reason and logic have nothing to do with it. It just "is."

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Fully understand, HouseHomey!

I’m tellin ya once & I’m tellin ya twice, never trust those checkout girls. Ya jus never know what they will plop in your cart. I’ve done it once or twice just to see the expression on the customer in front of me, when the checkout person rings it up.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I could totally picture you doing that!!

Hahaha, sounds like we have you surrounded!

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here