Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket

Wanting to try Sous Vide Brisket. All of the recipes I've found use only the flat. One could certainly separate the point and flat and do them separately, but could you also sous vide it whole?

Absolutely can do it whole. Just need a large vessel to put it in and lots of time. I do 72 hours on mine but it's only at 135*, I prefer my SV brisket on the medium rare side. If doing more traditional, less time is appropriate.

Comment

I have sous vided a full packer, cut into two, so one piece was all flat, and the other was stacked point and flat. Capacity of 2 gallon zip locks and available tub to put em in.

You can definitely do the whole thing if you have a sufficiently large bag and a sufficiently large vessel, with a powerful enough circulator to make it all work. Joule is generally adequate for a vessel that would contain say a 15 lbs brisket and a similar volume of water.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Medium rare.

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack ever thought about using the vac sealed bag a whole packer some in?

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        No. It is not rated for cooking. Don’t cook in anything you don’t know if it’s safe at Sous Vide temps. Cryovac packing seals may fail at 135x48+ or 155x24.

Thanks guys! The recipe at Serious Eats uses a little Prague Powder...any thoughts?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The only reason they are using the prague powder is to get fake smoke ring. I have found that my fake smoke rings are almost comical, so I would omit, unless it's important.

I favor QvQ over SouBQ which is what Kenji is up to. A smoke to 130 or to the stall, then sous vide, then rub again and smoke to bark.

I've done a couple briskets by using sous vide then smoking. The last one I did was a whole packer brisket (one piece) sous vided at 141 degrees for about 72 hours, then smoked for six hours on the WSM and it came out great. Good bark. I used Joule and vacuum sealed it. The Joule site recommends using heavy duty vacuum seal bags as opposed to ziploc for long cooks. They say the seams on a ziploc could come apart.

After sous vide, I take it out, pat it dry and cover with just salt and pepper before smoking. The sous vide bag fills with a ton of delicious juice, but the meat doesn't dry out.

Comment

I might just try this... I've got a Prime packer sitting in the fridge that's been aging for about 5 or 6 weeks now. Friend is having cancer surgery tomorrow, so I am hoping by next weekend (the 21st/22nd), she should be ready to chow down on some brisket!

Comment

For my next sous vide brisket cook, I'm going to try 155 for the flat only half, and keep it 130 for the the point/flat half. I think I will finish the flat more like steak, with a higher heat sear. Then, for the point section, actually cut it the Sorkin method. On my current one, I did the Sorkin method, and then, last night, while carving some, cut with the point grain on the half... it was edible, but it wasn't the good, against the point grain that I had for lunch yesterday.

Comment

About to do my first sous vide brisket, and after reading many comments, am thoroughly confused. I have a packer, and cut off part of the flat to fit the rest of the flat + point in the bag, giving me an ~8 lb. brisket Will the AmazingRibs recipe (which uses only the flat) work here? Does the temp/time need to be adjusted when cooking flat and point together?

Comment

So, a question from a relatively new (and vastly under-educated) wannabe: If the goal in smoking a brisket is to reach 205 degrees and then rest, why would I not smoke the meat on my PBC to 165 and then SV it to 205. I would then presume to put it back in PBC to firm up bark and then wrap and hold. Dumb?

Comment

• gepaza
                gepaza commented
                Editing a comment
                Poor choice of words on my part, maybe. The PBC temps are too high to try to smoke the meat until it is tender, so the recommended way is to smoke for a couple of hours and then wrap the meat and place it on the grill until tender (205?). Was just wondering if SV could replace the wrap.

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                I concur with Polarbear777. 205 isn't the goal, texture (and safety) is the goal. There's no need to set your SV at 205.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Some people successfully do brisket hotter in the PBC. If I’m doing a straight smoke I got 225 until tender (12-16 hours). If doing QVQ I smoke to internal temp of 130, bag and SV at 135 for 72 hours, chill, un bag and smoke at 350 until internal temp to 135 or so and I get good bark. I never let it go above 135 for QVQ.

That would work also I’ve smoke At 225 Ish for 2 hrs then sous vide for 60 hrs At 135 ice bath back on Smoker till internal is 125

Comment

• gepaza
                gepaza commented
                Editing a comment
                Fire Art, is that 60 hours a typo, or are you one serious dude?

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                gepaza not a type o

• T-bone
                T-bone commented
                Editing a comment
                Fire Art were you happy with the QVQ results? This method for brisket is on my to do list.

T-bone it was very good

Comment

• T-bone
                T-bone commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

gepaza Beachhouse
              This requires more characters than will comfortably fit in a comment.

203+ is a conventional cooking method point at which full collagen breakdown occurs. That's where braised meats and smoked meats basically give up the connective tissue, more or less, and deliver unctuousness.

It is unnecessary to take the SV to 203+ (and massively inefficient, as you have a stall with water that hot, ahead of boiling, and most ICs aren't made to boil water, given the efficiency of the stovetop for that). Collagen breakdown is a curve function of time and temperature. You can get that same collagen breakdown at 130* F and 72 hours. You can get it at 155 in 24 hours. The difference between the two is doneness, not tenderness.

The reason you cook lower in SV is because you can. Lower temp keeps more moisture in the meat. As protein strands contract under heat, they get wrung out. You can think of the protein strands as soggy towels, and the heat extra twists in a wringer. At 135, much less moisture explusion than at 155, which is much much less than 203+. 155 x 24 will give you a traditional braised/pulled/smoked texture and appearance. Removal of myglobin, aka the pink stuff. 135x72 will give you something more like very tender steak, which can then be treated as raw, and smoked as hot as you like, even up to 205. Will not stall as hard post-sous vide, so if you like traditional brisket, SV is a method to eliminate the need for cambro hold and reduce/eliminate the stall. If you like something a little more avant garde, you can smoke and hold the line at or below your SV temp, and have medium rare brisket. That's a pretty cool thing.

As with everything, with sous vide, your end goal sets your method.

Comment

• gepaza
                gepaza commented
                Editing a comment
                As I said before, I am woefully uneducated. Clearly my thinking was along the lines of using SV to eliminate the cambro hold. Thanks for the info! And mucho thanks to all for taking the time!

• BBQ_Steve-O
                BBQ_Steve-O commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack Great info - Thank you!

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent explanation!

First time trying a sous vide brisket. Cooked stacked flat/point, each about the same size, for a total of about 8 lbs. Based on Serious Eats recipe, put the brisket in 2 gallon Ziploc at 155 degrees for 36 hours. It chilled for a day or so, then smoked on a Weber kettle for about 2 hours at 250 or so. The point came out PERFECT. Best I ever had. The flat was dry. Good flavor but not at all juicy. Anyone have thoughts about what can be done to make the flat come out better?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Lower temp, hotter faster smoke. The tip of the point will always dry out, that’s why it was traditionally used for burnt ends.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here