Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graduation Tri Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduation Tri Tips

I was, of course, tasked with grilling the tri tips for my nephew's graduation party. We had 7 roasts for a total of 19lbs and there was a Rec Tec 680 available for use. The ceremony was scheduled for 8:00 - 11:00 AM with dinner at about 3:00 PM. I seasoned and bagged the roasts the night before then got up early and plopped them into the hot tub time machine, 132/6. My sister acquired some Santa Maria style rub from a caterer friend of hers and asked me to use it. I was naturally skeptical of this "unknown white powdery substance" but it turned out to be very good. After the ceremony I iced the whole mess, fired up the pellet pooper to 250, smoked them to an IT of 115, seared them on a little gasser and served.

Every one of those roasts was a perfectly tender medium rare. I have grilled a lot of tri tips in my life for numerous events, but have never had this consistency throughout a cook. There's always one or two or a few that are a little over/under done. As a well-trained and certified Fool I can attest that this method is virtually foolproof.

There were a lot of meatheads there and all were amazed by the tenderness and consistency. I shared with all who commented where I get my advice on grilling and cooking and all things sous vide and hope that we might acquire a few new members. A big thank you to all of my friends here on this site for your advice, techniques, recipes, and kindness. I like to jokingly say that AR has changed my life. Well, half-jokingly anyway.

I did not take any pictures, but I'm sure you all know what medium-rare tri tip looks like.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; May 20, 2018, 10:58 AM.

Great work there CaptainMike! Experience pays off. I’m glad the guests were happy, but then again, no surprise with a talented chef behind the wheels. Thanks for trying to get more people to join up!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, praise from the praiseworthy!

Very nice, Mike! More world peace through BBQ!

Comment

Sounds wonderful! Good job sir!

Comment

That sounds awesome .... there’s almost nothing better than perfectly medium rare tri-tip!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike, I’m gonna have to try that one of these days .... how long did they cook? 8-10 hours?

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Closer to 5. I was really sweating it and thought for sure they'd be ruined, but it was a Traeger recipe so I just trusted it. Kind of a lazy man's brisket I guess. https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe.../tri-tip-roast. I did not marinade in BBQ sauce, just dry brined. Not a big fan of BBQ sauce on beef roasts.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; May 20, 2018, 03:14 PM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, that’s something I’m gonna try for sure

Sous Vide and tri-tip are a match beyond matches.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes indeed!

Your welcome!!! Only kidding, sounds like an excellent result. I have a Crowd Cow Tri in the freezer, need to put it on the short list !!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish I knew where my sister's friend gets that rub, it was very good. I usually just dry brine then pepper and garlic powder or Montreal Steak. I'll have to put her in a bar-arm hold like when we were kids until she gives up the source. Or cries Uncle and promises to do my chores for a week....

Congrats on a great cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here