Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help❗️ Souix Veee Dooo Tips and Suggestons For Whole Pork Butts‼️

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help❗️ Souix Veee Dooo Tips and Suggestons For Whole Pork Butts‼️

This Question Relates to My Upcoming Debut As An "EXPERT BBQ'ER" at The Upcoming Ace Hardware BBQ FEST, 5 May 2018❓ The Problem is TIME & SECURITY at the Store Hrs are 8:00AM to 8:00PM❗️As An Overnight On Sight is Impractical, I Said to Myself "Self You Need Help"‼️ I Also Remembered That I Own a Jouel, If I Can Find It❓ As It Is a BBQ Event, I Want The Butt to Have a Smoked Taste‼️
    And Thanks For Your Support‼️
    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Why not smoke it at home to the stall or more, then cambro it in and finish it up in time for pulling at lunch?

It it will be like magic. :-).

You could SV a whole butt, but that may be more work then just starting it at home and it would take a very long time to tenderize (1-3 days depending on your chosen temp). I like QVQ but not for everything.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm Taking My Webers to Ace Might Be To Big of Hassle❓ My Other
      Thought Was to Smoke Them on The OK Joe Stick Burner, Wrap and
      Faux Cambro, Finish on the Weber, S 'n S with Drip & Griddle❗️ Still
      Might but I Have To Keep As Real As Possible for Product Demonstration Purposes‼️ Dan

I’d say more like 4 days plus the final smoke. I agree, pre-cook conventionally Dan.

Comment

Hmmm, it seems that ACE is showcasing their grills and what can be done with them. Going with the "lowest common denominator" concept (meaning first time grill owners), I wonder if something like pork ribs that you can cook in staged batches might be a better demonstration. You can show realtime the benefits of low and slow while explaining how that process can be applied to larger cuts like butts and briskets. Perhaps a previously cooked and pulled butt in a steam table or some such contraption would be a good example, while the ribs can be experienced as they cook. Just a musing on my part.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for Your Suggestions @CaptainMike❗️ Zach, Gen Mgr of My Local Ace Hardware Is A Avid BBQ'er and a Good Guy❗️ He Is Excited
        About His Ace BBQ Fest and I'm Just Trying to Cheat A Little Time and Still Have A Respectable If Not Better BBQ for Zach and His Customers❗️ I Think He's Inviting He Knows To Lunch‼️ Dan

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, copy that.

You could bring a nearly finished butt and start another when you arrive. Like a TV chef you have one ready. You can teach and explain the process.

Agree on the ribs also. How many cookers will you have available?

You coukd also do two-zone thickburgers and show folks how to not make hockey pucks.

Seems me like just about everyone overcooks everything still these days

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777, Thanks Fot Your Support❗️ I Don't Intend To Become
        Ace' s Fry Cook❗️ 😃 If I Can Figure Out the Logistics, I Believe Pork
        Butts Offer the Most Bang for the Buck❓ IMLTHOP‼️ 🤗 😇 🤗 Dan

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Was just thinking of things you could do to show off when there is downtime waiting for butts to finish.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777, EdF, CaptainMike, CandySueQ Troutman, IFound A Recipe On Line for SV-Q'd Whole Pork Butt, It is by Kenji Lopez-Alt and Was Listed By Serious Eats❗️ To Make a Long Story Short❗️ A "Test Run" 8 # Pork Butt is Dry Brined and In The Fridge for 24 Hs, Then SV 20-24 Hrs at 165* &..&..&..ETC❓ ❓ Detailsand Pic's Will Be Posted Below‼️ Thanks for Your Support❗️ Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 28, 2018, 02:23 AM.

@CaptainMike❗️ Cap I Apologize If I Sound a Bit High Toned in My Response❗️ It's Due To the Fact That the Ace Store Is My Neighborhood Store❗️ It Started As As A Coast to Coast and Was
      Either the First Or Second Store to Open In the Northport Shopping Center❗️ The Previous Ace Store Owner Closed It❓ It Remained Closed for Several Years, Devastating❗️ Two or Three Yrs Ago Zach,
      Gen Mgr & ("YOUG 30-35") Opened the Store As the Northport Burgraffs Ace Hardware‼️ So Thank You Very Much for Your Support, Cap‼️ A Good Day of Fun & BBQ for All or I'm Not the BACKYARD CREMATOR‼️ Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 28, 2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Not high-toned at all, I misunderstood the point of the BBQ Fest. It sounds like a great community event, the kind I like! If I lived there you can bet I'd be there at your side.

All good thoughts above, Danjohnston949! I'd like to add another. Do a half pan of brats (or any kind of sausage) with beer and sliced onions. This is easy to cook, smells great (and that will reel public in!), easy to slice up and serve with a toothpick right in the pan. Have a squirt bottle of brown mustard or a mustard sauce to go with. Have FUN!

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this idea. Super easy.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ, Your Suggestion Is Going Into My Evernote Recipe File and I Thank You❗️ OBTW, Serious Eats Has A Very Promising Recipie for S-V Q Pork Butts❗️ Trial Run This Weekend❗️ ❓ ❗️ Daan

My SVQ notes are here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIlTFr77..._MJOc6dUsrYfbw

I figure you want to do some cooking at the site, so I'd do a few hours pre-smoke, SV according to any of the guys in the notes, then when on site, smoke a few hours more to bring up the temp and bark.

This approach from Potkettleblack is what I'd do today:

PKB’s refined late 2017 method:

So, Temp is doneness, time is tenderness.
      I do my brisket lower and slower, like 135x72. It’s not like traditional brisket, because it’s not well done, but has all the collagen breakdown of the traditional cook. And more juice in the brisket. I’ll write my my process next year when I have a bit more confidence in it, but it’s smoke first to 130it, bag, soak at 135x48-72 (pinch test for tenderness), shock, smoke again to 130-135.
      Last edited by EdF; April 26, 2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, I Found a Highly Rated Food Recipie " Sous Vide Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt❗️ Ididn’t Have a 8 # Hormel Butt, Dry Brined with a Mix Of 1 C, 50/50 Course Kosher & Sea Salt, 1/2 C. Granulated Garlic Pdr, + 1/2 C Granulatd Onion Pdr❓ In the Fridge Until Tomorrow❗️ Souix Veee Doooo for 26 Hrs @ ❓ I Haven't Read The Whoe Book Yet❓ More Tomorrow and Thank You❗️ Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 28, 2018, 02:32 AM.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Have fun, Boss. That's what matters!

TRIAL OR "TEST RUN" Sous Vide Barbecue Pulled Pork Shoulder for Zach Strand, General Manager:
      ACE HARDWARE BBQ FEST, 5 May 2018 At Burggraf's Northport ACE Hardware, N Broadway, Fargo ND❗️
      Recipie by Kenji Lopez-Alt as Shown be Serious Eats‼️

4:30 PM Yesterday
      HORMEL 8# Pork Butt Dry Brined with (Mix of 1 C. Kosher Salt, 1/2 C. Each Granulated Garlic Pdr & Granulatd Onion Pdr) and Into Fridge For +- 24 Hrs❗️ More Later, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	490242Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	490244Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	490243Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	490245

5;00 PM 27 April 2018

" Rigged " SV Igloo Cooler (By Zach & Ace Hdw) & Joule SV Circulator Pre Heating❗️ Kitchen Faucit
      Temp at 114* F to Begin❗️ Dry Brined Pork Butt Removed From the Fridge and Into Doubled Clear
      Plastic Bags❗️ Inner Bag Tied Closed w/Bread Tie‼️ Included With the Butt Was 1Tsp Liquid Smoke &
      1/2 C. Beef Bouillon‼️ Should Have Started Pre Heat Earlier‼️ Oh Well What The "H--L" ❓❗️❓ This
      Is a "TRIAL RUN" LEARNING EXPERIENCE ❓❓ When Will They Ever Learn❓ Dan

6:30 PM

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	490795Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	490796Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	490798Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	490799Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	490800Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	490801Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	490797

4:20 PM Sat 28 April

Watcing Water Ciculate Is Fun❓ 🙄 Joule Is Performing Well
      With Very Few Glitches❗️ lit had Hoped I Could Mostly Close the Lid
      On the Igloo Cooler❗️ When I Did Joule Would Run HOT and Thermo
      Trip Off❗️ This Rrequires A Manual (iPad or iPhone) Resset‼️ NBD but
      APITA, Especially If You Are Trying To Sleep‼️ More In 2 Hrs, I've Got
      To Go Get Some Ice For The Cool Down Before Refrigeration ❗️ Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	491125Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	491123Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	491127Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	312.0 KB ID:	491126

6:06 PM Sat 28 April SV Part of The Trial Run on 8# Pork Butt Done‼️
      +- 24 Hts. @ 167* F❗️ Out of The Water and Into A Smaller Cooler and Topped With 2 Bags of Ice❗️ Fridge After Cool Down❗️ Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	161
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	491163Click image for larger version

Views:	134
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	491168Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	491165Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	491166Click image for larger version

Views:	138
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	491167Click image for larger version

Views:	131
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	491169

Attached Files
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 28, 2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, Is There Any Way To Post To Two Threads Simultaneously
        For Instance❗️ This "Thread "and "Show Us What You're Cooking❓❓
        Thanks John, Dan

The Kenji recommendation should work. But reserve the purge (clarify by boiling and filtering if desired) and add back to the pulled product. 165 will produce a ton of purge and dry pork.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Porkettlblack, How Long at 163* F Would You Recommend ❓ I Planned on Saving The Purge But Hadn't Thought Far Enough Ahead
        To Consider Boiling It and Straining It❓ Any Other Tips or Suggestion
        Would Be Appreciated PKB 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 ‼️
        And Thanks For Your .Support❗️
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        You go until it pinches the way you want it. Probably 24 will be sufficient. Maybe 18.

Speaking of ribs, mgaretz "Blasphemy Ribs" could be a good option. If you did that, I really like "Maple Cayenne Ribs". The glaze you make is intoxicating!

Comment

DAY 2 or the "QUE" Day of the Trial Run Whole Pork Butt for Ace Hardware's BBQ FEST NEXT WEEKEND,
        SAT 5 May 2018‼️ The 8# Hotmel Porrk But Was SV'd for 24 Hrs Yesretday and Then Put In A Coole With Packed Ice Over Night❗️ I Have Yet To Rub and Oil It With Honey Mustard Salad Dressing❗️ Smoked This
        Afternoon on the 221/2" Weber Kettle, W/S'n S, Drip & Griddle, Pit Viper Fan by BBQGURU, AND THE TEMP
        AND FAN CONTROL by FIREBOARD‼️ Update Edits Will Be Posted , Here Throuhout the Day‼️ Dan

8:00 AM 29 April 2018 Let the "QUE BEGIN"

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	491391Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	491392Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	491393

9:30 AM

8# Pork Butt, Out of the Cooler Where Spenr the Night❗️ Removed From the Bad and the Purge Saved
        To Cook Down and Strain for Sauce❓ Per Kenji, BWDIK❓ Dan

1:25 PM SV-Q Pork Butt Trial Run for Ace Hdw BBQ FEST 5th of May 2028

Coals Lit at 12:45 PM, Slow 'N Sear, Drip & Griddle, Weber Kettle Prepped, FireBoard Set Up For A Full Auto Smoke, Pit Viper Fan Gate Wide Open Per lonnie mac ‼️ Apple Wood, Pecan Wood and Cherry
        Wood for Smoke❗️ Let The QUE BEGIN‼️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	491618Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	491619Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	491627Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	491625Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	491624

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	472.2 KB ID:	491632

3:00PM Update: SV QUE Pork Butt Trial Run for Ace Hdw BBQ FFEST 5 May 2018‼️ Dan
        Including Me and SAMUEL ADAMS' MONITORING‼️ I Had to Change From #:3 to #:2 on the
        Fly to Get Proper Fan Spee Auto Control❗️ More Later❗️ Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	491741Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	491734Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	491735Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	4 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	491736Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	4 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	491750Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	491745Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	491738Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	491747

4:00 PM Update: SV-QUE Pork Butt Trial Run For Ace Hdw BBQ FEST 5 May2018 ❗️
        Taking A Little Longer Than Expected to Get To +- 203* F❓❓ More Later❗️ Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	491814Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	491815Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	491817Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	491818Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	491816

5:30 PM Update: SV-Que 8#: Prk Butt Trial Run For Ace Hdw's BBQ Fest 5 May 2018

Prk Butt Finally Up To Tenp +- 203* F @ 5:10 PM, About 1 HR Than I Thougt It Should Take❓ It Probably Would Have Been Shorter If I Would Have The Fan Speed Default Set To Probe #: 2 Off The
        Get Go, Rather Than #: 3 the Left Meat Probe❓❓ I'll Pull Part of It Whem Eunice Gets Done With Her
        Shower❓❓ 🤗 😇 🤗 More Later❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62402.png Views:	6 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	491716Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	6 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	492039Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	6 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	492040Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62394.png Views:	2 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	491708Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62393.png Views:	2 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	491707Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62379.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	491623

8:30 PM Update: SV-QUE TRIAl RUN 8# Pork Butt for Ace Hdw BBQ FEST 5 May 2018❗️

Pulled The Butt @ 7:00 PM‼️ Had Supper Pulled Pork Sandwich What Else‼️ Very Good Slightly More
        Smoke and Some Vinigar or Lemon To Brighten The Pork a Little, IMLTHOP, Is Needed❓❗️❓
        The End My Frend❗️ From a BackYard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Views:	107
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	492128Click image for larger version

Views:	104
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	492129Click image for larger version

Views:	103
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	492140Click image for larger version

Views:	98
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	492143Click image for larger version

Views:	96
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	492149
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 29, 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Help❗️SOUIX VEEE DEEEE PRK - QUE PORK BUTT for Ace Hdw's BBQ FEST❗️ 5 May 2018
          2 May (Tuesday) 2018, SV-Que 3 Pokk Butts 25 #'s: for Ace Hdw's BBQ FEST❗️ The Real Deal My Friend‼️

Picked Up the Butts Dry Bined (50/50 Kosher-Sea Salt, + 1 C. 50/50 Mix of Granulated Garlic & Onion Pwd'r), Arranged by Zach Strand, Gen Mgr, Burgraffs Ace Hdw from "Prime Cut Meats"‼️ Prime Cut Meats had Dry Brined, Bagged but Not Sealed, in the Cooler Several Days❗️
          Before Starting the SV Part of Kenji Lopez-Alt's & Setious Eats Modified Recipie th Following was Added to Each Bag: 1/3 of the Following: (1-1/2 C. Balsamic Vinegar, + 1-1/2 C. Red Wine Vinegar, + 10 Oz's Apple Juice, + 2 Each Sliced Med Sized Lemons & Limes)‼️ The Inner Bags Were Tied Off With Bread Ties and the Butts Were Hung by the Outer Bags in the Heated to 167* F Cooler & Water by Chef Step's Joule Water Circulator and Heater❗️ 24 Hr's for the S-V is Planned Per Joule❗️ Dan

Views:	110
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	493318Click image for larger version

Views:	104
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	493319Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	493320Click image for larger version

Views:	102
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	493321Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	493323Click image for larger version

Views:	99
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	493326Click image for larger version

Views:	105
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	493327Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	493328Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	493329
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 2, 2018, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            2 May 2018 Updates Help Souix VEEE DEEEE PRK - QUE PORK BUTT FOR Ace Hdw's BBQ FEST 5 May 2018❗️ 2 Hr's S - V Will Be Done‼️ Chef Step's Joule Has Run Non Stop Since 5:30 PM YESTERDAY The
            Temp Has Maintained 167* F, 3 Butts @ 25 #'s TOTAL‼️ Frm A Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
            p

We await further reports!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF, Mbmorgan If You Gents eMail Yout Ptivate eMail Address I'll Invite You to Log On To My iCloud Photo Sharing Post Hosted on My iPad and Features Ace Hdw's TRIAL RUN: SOUIX VEEE DEEEE - QUE PORK BUTT For Ace's BBQ FEST Saturday 5 May 2018❗️ Features Aln EXPERT'S Preparation from THE Trial Run, Through the Event on Saturday‼️ No Spam, Free D'n Loads, No Virus❓ Thanks For YourSupport❗️ Dan

You got this, Dan!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here