Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide brats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide brats

I have been doing this for a while now. It’s an alternative way of tailgating or cooking bratwurst at home.

1. Get store bought or homemade bratwurst (uncooked ).
    2. Vacuum or displacement bag seal and cook in sous vide for about 3 hours at 135F (enough to pasteurize so you can safely consume).
    3. Ice bath for an hour to chill to fridge temp.
    4. Anytime between the next few minutes or next few days, fire up a chimney of charcoal (or a small tailgating charcoal grill).
    5. Unbag the sausages, pat very dry and spray or rub a little oil on them. Putting them on skewers will ensure even browning on the outside (no grill marks).
    6. Sear at the hottest temperature you can manage until the skin is dark brown.
    7. Since the sausage is pasteurized the interior is safe to consume at 135 and will be literally gushing juice, while the outside will fracture, Brown, and crisp up. If guests are squeamish you can SV to 140, but I wouldn’t :-)

I find this much more convenient for scheduling than a reverse sear since you can hold in the fridge or a cooler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DDCFBF29-52D1-4730-BCAA-EBBBFC348947.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	353.7 KB ID:	486235
    Last edited by Polarbear777; April 20, 2018, 05:02 PM.

That’s getting ‘er done on the quick and cheap! I got some uncooked brats in the freezer, I may try this! That way I can feed my brats some brats

Comment

Sounds tasty.

Comment

Nice! I like this technique idea! I am very busy, so SV saves me sometimes!

Comment

For tailgate brats we have beer-boiled them and then finished/warmed them on the Weber Q. It's not Utopia, but it's good enough...

Comment

Sounds really good. I have yet to find a brat that I don't like. Thanks for sharing!

You ever rip those on the PK?

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Brats are a food group in MN and Wisconsin right?

I used to do them on the pk, but since I’m using a chimney to light it anyway for just not that many it’s easier to use the chimney.

Plus the skewer-chimney method avoids suboptimal grill marks and you get even browning and surface cracking.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, they are indeed, my friend! Makes sense to use the chimney, I just love those PKs. Polarbear777

Thanks, Polarbear777 for the technique. It's going on my list. I've got some curry dogs from the butcher that may be lined up for a go like that.

Kathryn

Comment

This is really effective with cheese infused brats. The flavored ones are also enhanced in this way.

Comment

this seems to be a good idea. i approve. i also love that picture!

Comment

Found this thread while researching sausages cooked in the sous vide. Is 3 hours at 135 degrees still the right time/temp? Don't suppose a little bit of time could be shaved off that. And would you do the same with chicken sausage, or up the temperature? Thanks.

Polarbear777 Oh, and those sausages look amazing

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For any ground product you need to make sure it gets pasteurized. 135 is on the order of three hours but you’ll need to measure the thickness and use an online calculator, app, or the online tables to figure it out. I like sous vide dash-which is now called "PolyScience sous vide toolbox"

• Smoking77
                    Smoking77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never heard of this app. Thanks for the rec

If you’d like something more like a traditional beer cooked brat, I’ve seen 176x20m with caramelized onions, stock and beer in the bag with the brats.

I would think this a candidate for sans-vide cooking, but ChefSteps recommends putting a spoon in the bag.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was going to ask the same thing, why not cook at a higher temp for a shorter period if pasteurization is the goal? I like the idea of the extras in the bag too, it's like a meal in one shot. Other than the sear you'd be good to go !!

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This recipe from ChefSteps was in collaboration with a Seattle Sausage maker.

I think some brats come pre-cooked, so only need a retherm and a sear if desired. Raw sausages might need the full pasteurization. I can't really tell what Uli sells, but based on the temp and process, I'd guess they are fresh and not parcooked.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use the lowest temp I want for the doneness, say 135 and I pasteurize at that temp so it’s safe but very little juice is lost from the meat fibers themselves.

Nothing wrong with higher if that’s what you like better.

In my opinion, and I stress, my opinion not to cause a ruckus or rain on anybody’s parade but, I just can’t see dropping any meat in a bag of water for hours & sometime hours & then searing on a whatever. The important part is the whatever. We have no need for grills or smokers. Just boil em ever so gently & sear em on a whatever. I guess it may be a way of cooking, but I got a grill or two so I wouldn’t cook in a pot of water. It’ll really cut down on the need for charcoal or gas for that matter. I hope no one is offended by this rant. Just my two cents.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I still don’t rightly know what a troll is, but I do get the ugly girlfriend thing.
                    Was she really ugly?

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it all depends how many beer's you drink!

• aladdin4d
                    aladdin4d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FireMan "Was she really ugly?"

Obviously she was as ugly as a troll.

FireMan - do you think the water touches the meat? It doesn't. And if you were to sample a normally tough cut of flavorful beef, or a nice thick pork chop, or a juicy chicken breast done SV, then seared, you might have a different opinion. But hey, "horses for courses" as they used to say!

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My edgamication continues, didn’t know the not touch water thing. But, then what about the beer?

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In the example above, you could just cook it in beer the whole way. The advantage to SV for sausage is the precision in the temp, which prevents you from overcooking and ruining the texture of the sausage. The lower temp of 176 versus a boil at 210 or so, gives you a wider margin of error. It's also more gentle to the proteins, so the sausage will give up less liquid to the beer, but everything it gives will be captured, with no evaporation. So, same amount of flavor to the liquid, but juicier.

If I weren't so completely blitzed at work, I would be putting together a Why Sous Vide It FAQ. It'd be easier to link than explain everytime.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of these days, Yoda!

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Feels like I will be buried at work for the next 15 years or so... doing gov work on a federal holiday to get out a bit today.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're not the only one, though I'm not a Federal employee,

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
                  If I weren't so completely blitzed at work, I would be putting together a Why Sous Vide It FAQ. It'd be easier to link than explain everytime.
                  Until such time that PKB, I, and likely others actually put together (or at least contribute to) a SV FAQ in the Pit, here's a few links to some really good articles on SV ... and why SV:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...l-recipes.html
                  Sous vide cooks at high-precision low temperatures ensuring even cooking from edge to edge, to desired doneness, maintaining moisture. Sous vide allows you to conveniently serve food when you are ready.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpF...PKLolFR3gWhrMw

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide

I highly recommend that anyone even remotely interested in (or confused/doubtful about) sous vide should have a look.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Potkettleblack - Trolled, quoted, stalked, and possibly even photo shopped all in the same day ... that must be the price of fame ... 😎 ...

( EdF )

• jecucolo
                    jecucolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice Ed!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't worry, Potkettleblack - you're in those notes only because you had stuff worth saying!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here