Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about method: Sous-Vide-Que New York Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about method: Sous-Vide-Que New York Strip

I'm trying reverse-sear sous-vide-que New York Strip steaks for the first time, and I have a question about method.

Dinner is tomorrow night (I couldn't wait any longer for the weather to get better) and currently, the steaks are in the middle of 2.5 hours in the water bath at 130F. They were seasoned with Famous Dave's Steak & Burger Seasoning.

When they come out, they are going into a 50/50 mix of ice and water for about 45 minutes, then into the fridge.

The plan for serving tomorrow is to put them on the indirect side of the grill and warm to 115-120F and then sear.

My question is this: When I take them out of the fridge, do I have to pat them dry before they go on the indirect heat, or will the surface dry out for the sear on their own?

Thanks for any help with this - I'll try to remember to post some pictures of the results.

Update:

Here's a picture of the result. Sorry its hard to see the color, but it was backlit. It was perfect medium rare! I did the reheat in the sous vide and the sear on the gas grill.
    Thanks for all the ideas!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Steak2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.0 KB ID:	479728
    Last edited by andy.wpg; April 8, 2018, 05:20 PM.

Andy, while they might dry in the time it takes to reheat, I would pat them dry when you take them out of the sous vide bag tomorrow, and if you need to, apply more of your seasoning if it came off in the bag. I use Montreal Steak a lot in the sous vide bag, and most of it seems to stick to the steak even when it comes out, so doubt they will need anything other than a pat dry.

Comment

• charlesSFG
      charlesSFG commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Montreal Steak a lot too!

I would just reheat them in the sous vide that way you don't have to worry about the temp on the indirect. I know you already seasoned the meat but I usually season after I sous vide it. I'll pat them dry a little, smear some olive oil and my seasoning on them, then blast them on a rip roaring hot grill. Or I blast them with my blow torch. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by charlesSFG; April 7, 2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as you know which are which, you can SV them to warm. Just go to 125 or so for an hour, and they won't cook further, except a bit during the sear.

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I'm not very bright, am I. A light bulb went on over my head a few minutes ago, and I came here to say 'I get it now!'. Doh! <slaps self on forehead>

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      Worked great! Thanks! See the first post for a picture of the results.

Added a picture of the results in the first post. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here