Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"two-week-qvq-pastrami"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been so darn busy with travel and the kids schedules I haven’t been able to do much of anything lately. But I have a point from CrowdCow that I plan on doing this qvq pastrami process with. I’ve done one in the past and it was ok, but I didnt follow the process as well as I should have.

So im excited to give this a go! I should be able to start the corning on Sunday. And I still have One jar of my kraut to go with it! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Homemade kraut & pastrami!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I love me some of my homemade kraut 😁

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Reuben City, here we come!

Whoa...

That's awesome. Gotta try it...

Comment

I just tried your QVQ method, Polarbear777 , as outlined in the OP, but for brisket, not pastrami.

I had a particularly tough-looking grass-fed very lean brisket flat from a friend of mine's cattle farm. I followed your QVQ steps to the last detail and ohmigosh, that was some good-eating. The brisket was moist and sliced like buttah, the bark was great, the smoke ring was pretty. I could slice it thick or thin (husband likes thick slices); it draped nicely over the finger and was so tender. There was a lot of purge, over 2 cups for a 5 lb brisket flat. That stuff was pretty tasty.

I injected with homemade beef broth+Butcher's BBQ phosphate then rubbed with Worchestershire+Black Ops SPOGOS and let it hang out in the fridge, covered, for 48 hours. I treated 4 chuck roasts at the same time exactly the same way. I only SVd the brisket though. The chuckies had the full ride in the PBC (they were quite delicious too). The brisket got a flash chill and sat in the fridge for 3 days before doing the last Q lap of the QVQ technique. Outstanding.

Thanks for heading me in the right direction for doing a QVQ brisket. I've done Cantwell's SVQ pastrami recipe but I think your approach is better. Since it worked so well on this straight up brisket, I'm going to give it a try on my next pastrami cook.

Kathryn

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        All fzxdoc wants for Christmas is a camera... You had me drooling just reading your write up.

I know what I am doing with my next brisket!

Comment

Polarbear777 what is your preferred smoke wood for pastrami?

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question. I always use whatever I happen to have in a big bin I don’t really know.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the perfect answer Polarbear777! There's so much going on w/ pastrami I challenge anyone to tell the difference in the wood smoke used.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I just finished one yesterday. I was cooking some flank steak on an open grill with mesquite splits so I threw the refrigerated pastrami that needed its final Q on the grill. Instead of a final finishing smoke I grilled it. Man did it come out great and yea the smoke came thru loud and clear !!!

Ok... so... I have some top rounds from Costco in the freezer and am thinking about doing this, minus the cure on one (i.e. just QVQing it at 135). Any reason it wouldn't come out decently?
        Last edited by rickgregory; December 23, 2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Should work for any cut, go for it.

Alright... so I grabbed some packaged corned beef that was on sale after St Patrick's. Froze it. Got it down the other day, let it defrost and desalinated for 24. It's been smoked and is sitting in the SV as I type at 135F.

NOW... does this *need* 72 hours? Has anyone tried it at 24/36/48? I can let it do the full 72, but I'm wondering.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the texture at 72. 48 wasn’t enough tenderization. At 135 it takes a long time for collagen to breakdown

You can check it by pinching and the result is up to your preference, but I wouldn’t bother checking until 48 for brisket, unless you were using a higher set temp, which in my opinion kind of defeats the advantage.

I tried this. I did NOT get that kind of bark.

​​​​​​but the pastrami was delicious and tender and juicy. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_200010.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	982882
        ​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here