Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"two-week-qvq-pastrami"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Two-Week QVQ Pastrami"

"Two-Week QVQ Pastrami"
    A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from "Serious Eats".

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ts-recipe.html

B: 24 hour purge with multiple water changes to get rid of excess salt.
    C: Followed QVQ process below (3-6 days depending on when you chose to finish it). but didn’t bother with the fat flash or saving the purge.

As per the process below this brisket never got above 135F internal so was super moist and fork tender.

The addition of an up front smoke means you are smoking cold, wet meat twice. I find that this makes a difference also.

The PKB genius (apart from just his interview inspiring this process) is the 350F finish which avoids any stall and sets the bark before the meat can get above 135. Bark was actually crunchy around the edges and very good.

So, double smoke from cold, completely tender, very juicy.

No cambro hold required as in traditional either since you took care of the tenderness with the SV step and it’s coming off the cooker at 135F internal serving temp.

1. Dry brine or start with purged corned beef and add BBBR
    2. Smoke at 225F until about 130F IT
    3. Bag the meat, chill if necessary to prevent boiling in vacuum then vacuum seal.
    4. Cook in sous vide at 135F for 72 hours
    5. Ice bath and put in fridge for a few hours or a few days.
    6. A couple hours ahead of dinner, unbag and save all the purge
    7. smoke at 350F to avoid the stall until an IT of 135F ( 350 hardens/dries the bark and you don’t need a stall because the time in SV took care of the collagen breakdown)
    8. (Optional) Heat previously trimmed and rendered brisket fat to 375-400F and pour over brisket (safely, outside) right before service.
    9. Remove the meat. (Optional) Heat the purge and pour over meat after slicing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7012F23A-3369-4B7C-B25F-55098777467B.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	470976
    Click image for larger version  Name:	45897C09-03CA-4B95-9DBB-B66BC19EDC77.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	470977
    Last edited by Polarbear777; March 22, 2018, 08:23 PM.

Sounds great, and saved to my recipe file!

Comment

That looks very tasty.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I saved this to my Sous Vide document. Lots of good info, Polarbear777 . Thanks!

That pastrami looks delectable.

Kathryn

Comment

That looks very good! Thanks for sharing the method. I will try also.

Comment

Happy to have helped. Amazing cook. Thanks for sharing as paying it forward is what it’s all about.

Comment

Who wants to tell Clint?

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lol

Thanks for posting this in the forums. It's pretty much spot on to what I've come to do with mine, thanks to help from PKB and others. Good information to anyone out there attempting a QVQ pastrami ... use this recipe !!!

Comment

Made this several times now. Always good. This is just ~1/4 of the whole brisket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8673DAE4-FA26-42D0-A2CF-F2B0AA59148C.jpeg
Views:	815
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	479027

Comment

I just ate my last sammich from one I did last week!! Love QVQ pastrami !!!!

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It never makes it to sandwiches. Some of it doesn’t make it to the table. Much of it gets eaten by hand from the cutting board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25225207-B45D-489C-A920-18185D96F305.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	479146 Another shot.

The stuff is is so tender on the inside that the bark/crust just crushes it. So you can’t slice this stuff thin easily.

Last edited by Polarbear777; April 8, 2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bark!!!!

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well I made about 4# hunk of flat and let it chill out then sliced it. Worked out fine for me. Just tired of spending big bucks for grocery store deli meat

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Chilled or partially frozen it can be sliced thin but not at the first meal, so you have to make a lot extra if you want deli slices later.

Polarbear777 you are going to have to add a restaurant grade meat slicer to your MCS list. That pastrami looks great.

Comment

Made about 16# this batch. Some I froze. The rest only made it through breakfast.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FAABD3E7-F21C-4200-9E9A-B5466EA4021F.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	479382

Comment

Daaaaaaaang. Tagged for future use here. Definitely going to try this. Curing a full packer without separating the point and flat? I was afraid that would take forever, as thick as it is. I've only done small pieces thus far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here