Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schweinshaxe - Pork "Knuckle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schweinshaxe - Pork "Knuckle"

Click image for larger version

Name:	29426017_10214656549117661_464130863436817873_n.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	469301
    Blonder salt brine for a couple hours.
    Rinse
    Bag.
    Soak 165x24F
    Shock
    Chill
    Separate gelatinized purge and creamy lard.
    Score skin
    Season.
    500*F indirect on the grill until the skin looks right and passes the knock test (like for bread... should be crispy)

Serve. It pulls from the bone quite easily and the textural contrast between the firm meat, the soft fat and the crisp skin is amazing.

Sauerkraut is a traditional side, as is a starch accompaniment. As I am keto, I am hitting with some balsamic and some green beans.

Man that's a wicked looking knuckle PKB, bet it was good !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah... this was a winner. I ate about half of it last night, have the other half and another shank.

Good deal as shanks are generally not that hard to come by, though nice ones can be.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, @Troutman... you even commented on this recipe.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yea I remember that one...that's for the reminder, just hit the Follow key. I've got a variety of shanks I'm experimenting with, will have to try sous vide, never have. Thanks again Potkettleblack

I so badly want to make a comment regarding a different animal knuckle, but I'm going to refrain.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it moose season yet?

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in Maine and the Moose is Loose!

That’s what is called meat! Looks good, & I can imagine what it tasted like.

Tying to do keto for my wife but, she keeps throwing spuds in & loves bread. I sometimes feel I am fighting a loosing battle.
    Last edited by FireMan; March 19, 2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Fathead doughs make workable bread substitutes with almond flour. riced cauliflower works as an acceptable potato replacement. I did keto before it was called keto, and wife did her thing. We're getting back to that.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sourdough bread is supposed to be good for you.

Schweinshaxe is a great dish, very big in Germany among other countries. You sure did it justice!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm pretty close to what I got in Munich. A bit of refinement on the next go and I will either hit it or exceed it. yeah, this was much better than the one I got in Prague, and close to the one I got in Munich.

Looks delectable! I'm shopping in the wrong places! Don't remember when/where I last saw pork knuckles or shanks in meat counter.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      These came from HeritageFoodsUSA.com. I got a bunch to make minihams in the chefsteps process, but decided I didn't like the results, so they've been in my freezer for a while. A friend recently went to Vienna and Munich, came back wanting more Schweinshaxe, so I got inspired. It is one of the great dishes of Bavaria, a place of great hearty food.

That looks very good! Thanks for sharing it, I wil add to my list to try.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Likewise!

Ho-Lee-Shi-Tah! That looks delicious!

Comment

Potkettleblack any updates? You said you were working on tweaks. Haven’t had a chance to do this yet but will soon. Thanks!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Not the kind of thing I make in the summer. I’m geared a bit better now, so doing the finishing on the Grilla might be a way to improve it.

Also, my source seems to have stopped selling skin on shanks. So, will try to find locally

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the tweaks is to develop a way to either stand it up or hang it, so it doesn’t stick to the grate. I think I can skewer it into a tripod.

Skewer over an open Dutch oven maybe.

Cant find whole shanks either. Got some hocks to play with.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem with supporting its weight with skewers the meat is completely pullable once it gets back to temp. They stand okay on the bone, but a couple of support skews couldn’t hurt.

Experimented with the hocks. Yep they are so tender out of the SV, and coated in gelatin, that they won’t stay on even wide skewers. Turned out okay, took about 25 minutes at 525F to get them crispy.
      I think a larger knuckle would work better than the hocks... if I could only find some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E23E46E5-580A-4CEF-8C5B-6E85721DAB37.jpeg
Views:	796
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	549972Click image for larger version

Name:	D5390F85-5B77-4C51-BA51-D1DA13FC2CCB.jpeg
Views:	807
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	549973

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Any problem I have with them is largely ignored in the eating of them. So, it’s really quibbles.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice piece of meat.  I have had plenty of hocks in my life - mostly with turnip or collard greens - but never any that looked like this. Next pot of greens will have a few of these added.

Good folks, I have a question. I have found "4 oz. pig wing shanks" at the local Sysco. I was looking for pig wings AND pig shanks(schweinshaxe). Are these the same things? Are pig wings just pig shanks with no skin? In reading this thread, it sounds like the skin helps make this dish over the top. I appreciate all the help!
      The OmegaDog

Comment

Pig wings are shank portions. They are leaner than whole shanks, and don’t have the skin. The skin is really integral to Munich style schweinshaxen. I had one in. Prague that did not have crispy skin, or even an attempt at such, suggesting lower cook temp, and maybe a Czech version that doesn’t necessarily require skin. In Prague, came with two kinds of mustard, horseradish and some kind of fruity compote, IIRC. In Munich, kraut and a couple of dumplings.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!. I found a pig butcher here and he says he will cut skin-on pork shanks for me. Thanks again for the clarification.
          The OmegaDog

@Potkettleblack...did you use the 6.5% Blonder Brine for 2 hrs. or did you reduce the salinity to 4.5% and brine for 2 days as you had planned in your previous post? How much liquid smoke did you use? Also, why a 165* bath instead of the 149* you did last time?
        Thanks for the advice. Got 10# of shanks coming and I want to serve them for a "Neighborhood Crawl" coming up

Comment

Omega: Blonder Brine as written on the page, probably with sugar. I’ve been reducing sugar this year.

No liquid smoke. This is traditionally not smoked.

I had made shanks with the Chef Steps mini ham recipe, and wasn’t in love with the result, so I sought some guidance from an actual German, where is where I think I got the time and temp.
          Stressfreie, saftige Schweinshaxen mit Knusperkruste? Extrem einfach und vorallem stressfrei gehts in der Sous Vide Version. Zutaten vordere Schweinehaxen (ca. 500-750g) Salz Pfeffer Zubereitung Das SousVide-Becken* auf 80°C vorheizen. Verwendet wurde als Temperatur 80°C und als Zeitvorgabe 10 Stunden. Die Schweinehaxen mit Salz und Pfeffer einreiben, anschließend einzeln mit dem Vakuumierer* in geeignete Beutel* verschweißen.

I think either that one or this one:
          http://köstliche-rezepte.de/rezepte...-und-gegrillt/

or maybe from Sous Vide Resources. I think I used Andy’s method mostly and maybe time/temp from looking at the Sous Vide Facebook group of norm King.

It worked really well, so I’m not messing with it. I believe in optimization to a point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here