Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Salt?

Cooking a one pound filet mignon today via sous vide. Coated the steak with one-half teaspoon of kosher salt and refrigerated for approx 3 hours prior to sealing it in a bag. Planning on a 1.5 hour cook at 131 degrees F, after which I plant to brush with oil and sear on the grill. Question is do I need to add additional salt prior to searing; I was planning to add only pepper? Thanks in advance.

IMHO I wouldn't add any salt prior to searing. Easier to add if needed, then to take away.

Comment

Filet mignon, seriously good stuff! I'm always up for some beef tenderloin. So, I would not add extra salt before searing. It won't do much then and there. Add salt after searing instead. Also, skip the pepper. It burns very easily, leaving a bitter taste. I love pepper, but apply it after searing too

As for the sear: a drier surface is better for getting a nicely charred surface, so I would skip the oil. If you like/want the oil flavor, then a board sauce (oil plus salt and herbs, made directly on the cutting board) is a great way to go. That holds especially true for olive oil, which doesn't work with high temps.

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
        Jmccloskey659 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Henrik; your advice is always helpful. The board sauce approach is an interesting concept; looking forward to trying it. Thanks!

What Henrik said and another option would be a course finishing salt after the sear and/or slice with fresh black crack. Sound like you are in for a great meal. Let us know how it turns out. Pics?.

Comment

No need to salt. Crack some pepper and sear on a pre-heated cast iron skillet.

Comment

Thanks all for the expert advice...hope to be practicing it during the next grill. Also hope to be able to post some pics tomorrow of a perfect medium rare top to bottom with the sous vide method. Albeit still struggling with the salt content; using one-half teaspoon per pound for dry brining, however at times it does not seem sufficient and adding salt when serving just tastes too strong. Should I be using a steak rub at some point in the process? Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            If your taste preferences tells you 0.5 tsp per pound is too little, then add some more. I do it every now and then, no harm there.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            What Henrik said: this is about your tastes.

Filets don't have as beefy a taste as, say, a ribeye (my fav steak), so I always add rub prior to searing after the sous vide bath. I dry, then lightly paint with a bit of avocado oil (high smoke point), add the rub (usually Chef Michael Chiarello's Roasted Garlic Rub--scroll down to see it) and sear for 15 to 30 seconds on each side on my Grill Grate in the gasser at 600 to 700°F. The rub just barely chars as the sear is set, adding a great flavor to the filets, in my family's opinion.

I sometimes press the meat with the bottom of a skillet or a chef's press as it quickly sears.

The rub used to be available commercially in Chiarello's Italian specialty store, but is no longer sold since Chiarello closed his store. I was happy to find the recipe, since I'm getting low on the rub I purchased from him.

Kathryn

Chef Michael Chiarello’s Roasted Garlic Rub
          https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1916449

Roasted Garlic Rub:
          • 2 cups roasted minced garlic
          • 5 tablespoons salt
          • 1/4 cup coriander seeds, ground and toasted
          • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
          • 4 tablespoons dried chipotle pepper, ground
          • 2 tablespoons dried thyme
          • 5 tablespoons dried rosemary, finely chopped
          • 5 tablespoons lemon zest
          • 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

Last edited by fzxdoc; March 12, 2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
            Jmccloskey659 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Kate...have yet to find a favorite steak rub, so I’m anxious to try this one!

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum.. I'll be trying this one as well!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here