Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket ??

Sous vide is something that seems to be gaining in popularity, I see that meathead has a sous vide chicken breast recipe on the list, that's what prompted me to check out sous vide in the first place. I can understand that for something that is dry as chicken breast, but how would it work on something like brisket? I did look online and found a recipe for sous vide brisket, but just in reading it I don't see the sous vide advantage. Also, the recipe suggested smoking the brisket for 3 hrs. after 50 hrs. of sous vide cooking. Would that work on cooked meat?

It works because it helps to tenderize the meat without drying it out, allowing it to cook unattended for many hours while you carry on with life, among other reasons. Smoking it after the fact is effective because after you sous-vide it you shock it or chill it. The jury is out on a lot of folks' opinions on what we call sous-vide que, the process of combining sous vide with live fire cooking. Some folks love it, some folks prefer all life fire and have no interest in it. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe. Here's our new recipe for what you're asking about.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You might think of it as the cooking equivalent of a Tivo (and it's successors). It's a great time-shifter, and it works extra good stuff on tough cuts if you're not going to stay up and tend them.

Yes, you can absolutely make brisket using SVQ. Meathead has a video, here, that shows how he does it, step by step with the folks at Chefs Steps.
    I have never made a brisket using SVQ. But I know Meathead really loved the results he got when working with Chefs Steps.

Comment

Thanks to you both! I've watched the video and checked out the recipe. The other day I ordered a Joule circulation booster, so can't wait for that to get here and try this out.

To get a heavier bark, wondering about scorching it with a torch.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see the kitchen torch making big bark. I like to smoke, SV, then smoke again for enough hours to get a decent bark. YMMV!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You will love the Joule. It is a great tool.

TYVM. Kind of thought that the torch was a dumb idea.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one - it works. But for heavy bark, not so much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	773D390C-D393-412C-9D2F-997EAC778709.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	456634 Google: Lipavi Brisket Two Ways.

Two and a half processes. One like Meathead/Clint’s Sous Vide Que. the other for medium rare brisket done Que Vide (Que). That second process is a superior product that doesn’t conform to tradition.

Im not doing this again. QVQ MED RARE.

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Every time I see one of your medium rare brisket pics it seem so odd but looks so delicious. I will be trying your technique, appreciate your SV tips.

I used the Amazing Ribs.com pastrami recipe but took the sous vide branch to finish. Cooked 4 flats all about 4 lb each - turned out fantastic. My crew at work said it was the best they had ever had. That being said since pastrami is just a brisket at heart - I was wondering about using this same process for a brisket finishing in the sous vide @ 195 X 4. Smoke to an internal temp of 160-180 based on color, then put in the sous videfor 4 hours @ 195. I know you will have bark issues but I thought I'd give it a 30 minute rest after the sousvide then stick it under a broiler until it firmed up. Any of you pastrami experts tried this with a plain ole flat brisket?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You're correct, it will work for either. And welcome to The Pit!

Welcome WhollySmoke

Comment

I somehow missed this post the last couple of days, but do want to opine about the subject. First of all, and this must be prefaced by saying this is my experience and conclusion, but I prefer low and slow, Texas style brisket over fire to anything out there, period. The rich bark, the smoke ring created by the combustion gases and the rich and unctuous smokey flavor cannot be duplicated only imitated. Sous-vide-que for high temperature cooked brisket produces excellent results, but to my palate those results are an imitation. Good but not as good as the original.

Now, having said all that, what can sous-vide-que do well when it comes to brisket? Try medium rare, steak like, sliced brisket! In fact the only way to do that is with sous-vide-que. You can't break down the fat, connective tissues and turn collagen into jelly at those temperatures any other way that I know of. That also works well for other cheaper cuts of beef from round to chuck to rump and even cuts like short ribs. Spectacular medium rare results that rival steak.

Here's an example of traditional brisket, cooked low and slow until probe tender;

Name:	texas pack drape 11-17.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	469722

and an example of medium rare, sous-vide-que brisket taken to equal tenderness;

Name:	SV brisket drape.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	469723

Determining which one is better again is a matter of taste I suppose. I like both but for differing reasons. My suggestion is you search the Forums section in the sub-category of Sous Vide and look for some of the posts that have recipes on how to cook a brisket SV-que. Other online resources like Chef Steps and Sous Vide Resources have done a tremendous amount of work cooking and preparing meat at all temperatures.

Good luck and try some for yourself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here