Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast

The wife returned from the store with a Rib roast, was on sale. It’s really a thick cut rib eye steak, about 4 inches thick. Was thinking to SV, before searing on the grill. Looking for advice on time/temp in SV. I have done steak a few times at 132-135, haven’t been totally sold on the texture.

Right temp range, depending on how you like it (assuming med-rare with those temps). Uncut, 6-7 hours for me, maybe a bit lower temp.

Anyway, next time I do it SV, it'll be 6 hours/131. Then sear or very hot in the oven for 10-20 minutes.

Miscellaneous SVQ notes: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIlTFr77..._MJOc6dUsrYfbw

Comment

I’ll be trying it tomorrow, maybe the longer period in SV will improve texture, I was only doing 1-2 hrs previously.

Comment

I'm not a sv guy but I'd put it in the smoker until it was maybe 7 to 10 degrees below your target temp than either sear on a open flame or a searing hot cast iron pan. Just another option and it would take hours off the prep time.
        Good luck whatever you wind up doing!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That also works very well!

• SierraBBQGuy
          SierraBBQGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          That is exactly how I do Tri Tip, and will use on this as well if I don't try the SV.

12 hours or more dry brine then135 SV for two or three hours is my go to. For one that thick I’d probably SV for 5 or 6 hours. Then ice bath and sear in a rippin hot CI. Let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

Ice bath after the SV? Is that if not serving right away?

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, after I posted this, I read all your (and others) posts on this subject. Not something I’d ever heard of before...it makes total sense.
            One question though, is this just like a few minutes in ice bath? Like 3-5 minutes? I realize it’s dependent on how much surface area there is, but I just want to cool off the surface.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            What Potkettleblack said

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            5-10 minutes ahead of a fast sear. 10-20 ahead of a longer sear. all the way down ahead of a smoke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE36F963-FDBD-44DB-8A29-498607145762.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	454723Click image for larger version

Name:	F9CAE38F-9437-4923-8BDB-E5C8FF83F3C1.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	454724

Following the advice here, SV for 5 hrs @133, Short ice bath and seared over a charcoal chimney. Came out great, this wasn’t the best looking roast, I think we made it the best possible.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Bingo !!!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like turned out great. No gray band. 👍

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            What didn't you like about the looks of the roast? Looks great to me, both before and after the cook. I about took a bite outta my screen...

Just the inconsistent marbling, but that’s why is was USDA Choice...not prime. Really very good. I only thing I would do different next time...I seared on the chimney while the flames were shooting out the top, too much. I had to turn about every 15 seconds for just a few minutes. The crust was very thin. If I had waited another 15 minutes, I think a little lower heat/less flame would have allowed me to develop a little better crust. But, it was getting late, already had a few cocktails and we needed to eat! LOL

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            It's all about tradeoffs. You could hit it with flames, and let it go a bit further or flip it a few more times. Or, you could sear it a little cooler/longer. Might get some banding, but I've come to the conclusion that, as long as your band isn't the spinalis, you're within your rights.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            "Save the spinalis!"

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here