Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purge

I cooked a brisket last weekend in SV. I put the purge in the fridge last Sunday immediately after pulling. I forgot about it until now. Can it be used?

I would say yes, assuming it passes the sniff test. After all, it was pasteurized in the SV before it went into the fridge. If it does pass I would simmer it for a while, to coagulate whatever needs coagulating, but also for food safety. Doesn't hurt to concentrate it a bit, so cooking it down some makes sense anyway. But, as they say, I'm not a scientist. This is just what I would do based on similar experiences over the years.

Comment

What we need here is a little coagulatin goin on. Oh, and I am not a scientist, but I play one on tv.

Comment

Cook it down, way down, add some starch and make a killer gravy.

Comment

Delurk

Should be good as it was pasteurized and refrigerated.

Follow the process I laid out in the sticky and go to town. Taste it before reducing it. If you salted the item prior to sous vide, it may be salty, and reducing will make it more so. I made a soup with diluted turkey confit purge this weekend, and even at 3 parts water to 1 part purge, it came out very salty.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack - glad to see you still around, and I hope you decide to stick around. I want to learn more about SV and other things you seem to be a resident expert at. And I am with you - the tools are just a means to an end. Doesn't matter what grill you have, its what you do with it.

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to see you back!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I am monitoring the SV portion of the forum and the deals portion. If you need my expertise, I’m around through June.

Sorry to hear that Potkettleblack, it is a shame that a few can ruin the experience. Meathead's own rule is "No rules in the bedroom or the kitchen." Thanks for your input and we hope you come back!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here