Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-Vide Chuckie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a huge container for SV. I think it’s this one.
    Cambro 12189CW135 4.75 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Camwear Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E..._BfICBbT97XZCA

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. This SV thing is starting to make sense but my wife is still clueless. Wait until I order that 5 gallon tank she'll be so happy...but the dogs are like "Yeah man!"

We're at 48 hrs now so I'll update when the chucky is done. This is a trial run...I do want to go bigger next time. Pile that meat high and deep!
      Last edited by Larry Grover; August 14, 2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Getting close to 72hrs, is it common for the water to look a little off-color or do I have a small leak? Hard to tell, but it just looks like a mildly dirty fish tank or something. I'm using a Ziploc freezer bag...the side seams look intact.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180815_014729.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	549188
        Last edited by Larry Grover; August 15, 2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is normal. Some smoke particles are very small and actually permeate the bag over enough time. As long as you still have a water tight seal, you are fine.

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          If you smoke pre-SV, the water often turns brown like that even without a leak.

• Larry Grover
          Larry Grover commented
          Editing a comment
          Whew, good to know thanks. I did smoke prior to the bath.

Just an update I finished the process Saturday night and here are the results. This was my first pulled chuck cook so I can't compare to any other method's, but basically I've cooked plenty of pot roasts in the past but IMO this is better.

I started with a 24hr dry-brine followed by Meathead's BBBR rub. I misted the meat with water and it seemed the rub was too light so I added another coat prior to the post-smoke. At that point the slimy-wet texture really let's you pile on the rub easily. Otherwise, I followed Polar's recipe verbatim from page one.

I must say for the price it's the best meal I've had in awhile! It is dripping with juice, the smoke flavor was perfect and the bark was tasty as well.

Random notes:

- Total time on the grill was under 3 hours. 1:55 pre-smoke and 50 minutes post smoke to be exact.

- I used 3 small wood chunks: 1 apple & 1 cherry pre-soak then one cherry during final smoke.

- Purge wasn't as much as I expected (maybe 3-4 ounces), I just heated in a pan and dumped it over the meat (you can see it sitting in the pan in the photo.)

- I only cooked one chuck which was sort of a hassle with so many steps involved. I knew this going in....it was basically a test run for me as I'm new to SV. For a single chuck I'd look to a higher temp/shorter time SVQ. This is a great recipe though for multiple chucks.

- Since I did a pre-bath smoke the SV water turned orange (from smoke particles leeching through the bag) so I had to remove all the little balls and change out the water. Not a huge deal but just an FYI.

Thanks again to Polar for posting this up. Good stuff man.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pulled_Beef1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	330.7 KB ID:	552405

Last edited by Larry Grover; August 22, 2018, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Man I'd sure love to eat some of that !!

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I do any QVQ, I try to do at least 20 pounds or more. It’s essentialy the same amount of work, except for portioning, vac sealing, and freezing the leftovers for further meals.

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks everyone for all of this great information on SV and Smoke!

Comment

Just picked up a chuck and going to try this one out! I think I'll QVQ from everything I've read that seems to be the ticket. I was wondering if anyone had tried to make burnt ends using QVQ? Smoke to 130-135, shock, SV 135 for 72, shock and then cut the meat into cubes place on the smoker with the purge and sauce for some crust?
          Last edited by Jarret; September 23, 2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a great experiment to me! ;-)

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Have done it with pork belly and pork shoulder. Solid.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do it all the time with chuck roasts. I can only think of one word to describe it. "FANTASTIC".

Potkettleblack For the second smoke did you cut the meat into cubes first or did you smoke it for some bark then cut into cubes to finish? I’m worried that it may not get enough bark if I cut first vs later during the second smoke.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I cubed, sous then smoked. No first smoke.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto

I have never tried SV with chuck. I need to do that. I have always used ABCBBQ Dave's method for chuck, and had great results.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
            I have never tried SV with chuck. I need to do that. I have always used ABCBBQ Dave's method for chuck, and had great results.
            Hmm I don't think I have seen Dave's method.

Comment

WOW, this thread is awesome. Great how-to on Chuckies Folks! Thanks!

Comment

Dry rubbed and vacuum sealed for 24hrs
                Attached Files

Comment

Taking a nice 72hr bath at 135.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Decided to try QVQ vs SVQ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D4EBD41-91CD-4810-BE18-6C4DFDEE51A6.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	801125

Name:	25C92371-A693-48BB-BC5A-407DE6C114A1.png
Views:	354
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	801124

Name:	4E7CF349-A225-4BA4-85EA-343EAF94D708.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	801126

Name:	6BC5ACE8-4FA4-44A4-A949-C4983699D922.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	801127

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pic 1 the QVs are on the right.

Pic 2 shows that the final Q is just over an hour

Pic 3 shows the result before pulling upper left and lower right ore the Qd first ones.

Pic 4 shows after pulling.

Bottom line, the V really does make these guys completely pull able 135F to 72+ hours. And while you can see the initial smoked ones have a bit more smoke ring and a bit more "complex" flavor (very subtle and hard to describe) there is very little difference due to the first Q,

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So for pulled applications I’m convinced the first Q isn’t really necessary. The difference is very slight. Only able to tell by doing this side by side.

Will have to repeat side by sides with brisket etc and other non pulled applications.

• Meathead
                      Meathead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same conclusion I came to. Pre-smoking produced a smoke ring and a really tiny flavor improvement that was lost under sauce and/or bread. Not worth the effort in my mind.

Also shows that even without the first Q the SVQ gets you an amazing pulled beef with only about 90 minutes needed for the smoke step. I’ve done this ahead and finished comfortably at an event and it was a huge success.

Comment

I've been waiting to see a side-by-side of QVQ and SVQ chuckies, and here it is. Thanks, Polarbear777 !

Your findings echo Meathead 's in his discussion of his sous vide book over on this topic. He recommends SVQ over QVQ because the extra effort to smoke before sous vide is not worth the marginal difference in taste and texture.

So from here on out are you only going to be doing SVQ on chuck roasts and briskets?

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 8, 2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                        Polarbear777 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nope. One data point is not enough. For meats left whole for service, it could be a different story.

I’m not convinced that anyone else has done direct side by sides on this stuff because of the extra effort and wait time, but I’d love to see more if it. I think we are all too easily convinced by too little actual data.

• Meathead
                        Meathead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I did multiple side-by-sides but with smaller pieces. I did it for pork and brisket and ribs.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup, I saw that later on in the topic, Meathead . You made the evaluation as impartial as possible. That's how it should be done.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here