Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question before I make the investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question before I make the investment

Thinking about giving SV—Q a try as a new challenge for the new year, but before I make the investment I have what is probably a rookie question... how in the world do you sous vide large pieces of meat? I do a lot of cooking for 8 people, and I just can’t get my head around how to SV a monster size pork butt or a full packer brisket.

What do you use to bag them... something with Hefty on the side of it? LOL And the plastic container... beer cooler or what?

Look forward to words of experience to help me get excited about this idea again - the more I read and watch videos, the more I’m talking myself out of the idea.

I have easily fit one of the 2 pork shoulders that comes in a pack at costco in a foodsaver bag. Usually people modify a cooler for larger cuts of meat. I have a sous-vide, but i have only combined that and grilling by putting my grill grate on top of my chimney starter to get some great browning of food.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Now worries; yer already more advanced at SV than me!
      Happy Cookin'!

They make large bags and rolls of bags so you can fit large pieces of meat. Alternatively simply cut a pork but in half. You get more bark that way.

Comment

I have SV'd 2 or 3 butts so far in the 9 lb range. I modified the lid of a Coleman 24 qt cooler to accommodate my Anova SV device and it worked out beautiful. They were injected then seasoned with MMD then frozen. I SV'd them at 155 for 36 hours straight out of the freezer then I put them in a cooler mixed with 50/50 ice and water for 2 hours, after that I put them in the fridge until I was ready to cook them. The first one I didn't purge the juices from the bag so they congealed during the cooling period but the second one I cut a corner off of the vacuum bag to pour the juices out into a bowl to save for later, of course I had to reseal it before I put it in the cooler. After all this I cooked them on my Lang for around 4 hours for some smoke. They were both very tender, juicy and falling apart and also had a good smoke favor.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks, and I hope to hear more. Really like the idea of cutting pork butts in half - mo bark, mo better! :-) I wonder if cutting a brisket into smaller pieces (or ribs for that matter) is the answer there too.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Will work fine for brisket. Rib, at least pork ribs, have enough surface area uncut that I would be afraid you would be risking dry ribs for a little extra bark by cutting them. Beef ribs, maybe...

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I cut racks of ribs in half to sous Vide all the time. It’s probably blasphemy, but I sometimes cut them down to two-bone portions. They cook faster that way, and there’s more area for smoke to adhere to!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If my bag isn't big enough, I just cut the piece of meat in half too.

Here is a great larger Container for SV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030...q0L&ref=plSrch

The insulation will help keep your water hot. Just modify the lid to accommodate your SV device. Foodsaver makes a line of pleated bags that are expandable for larger cuts of meat.
        Last edited by Thunder77; January 12, 2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• gdsim1
          gdsim1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the help Thunder! Would it be too much to ask for a link to the bags too? :-)

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done the Sous Vide hack on the cooler in the link above gdsim1 (cut the lid in half and a hole for the SV device in the corner) and it works great for large cooks.

Just an FYI, there is a search box on the upper right hand corner of the page header above along with a button labeled advanced search. Go to that and type in either 'sous vide coolers' or 'sous vide accessories' or sous vide immersion devices', you get the picture. That will return all of the posts and threads that have to do what what you are asking. There are lots of guys here who have custom built large sous vide baths out of coolers and advice on where to get larger bags for doing large cuts of meat.

Good luck and show us, with pictures, one of your successful SV-Q cooks !!

Comment

If you don't want to cram it in a foodsaver bag - I think an 8# butt would be hard to do - they do sell 2 gallon Ziplock freezer and storage bags that should easily work. I did a 5# bacon wrapped pork loin sous vide for New Year's lunch, and I put that in a foodsaver bag.

I am just using pots I have already so far, and I have a 2 gallon and 5 gallon stock pot that should fit anything I need to cook, but those rectangular plastic containers or a cooler work great too.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I just use pots, but we have lobster pots and stock pots that are huge.

I use 2-gallon zip locks, but am looking into the pleated foodsaver rolls. They were recommended by people on a SV forum.

As to containers, I have a 6qt and a 12qt container I use for breadmaking and pizza dough, as well as sous vide. If I'm cooking anything over 145, I put it on a trivet, and if I'm cooking for more than a few hours, I plastic wrap most of the top, to keep evaporation from dropping the water level.

Coolers work really well, also. But I find my round containers are perfectly adequate, and multi-taskers, whereas a large square one would be a unitasker.

I wouldn't use a trash bag. They aren't rated for use at temperature, and they aren't rated as foodsafe.

Comment

I’m back peeps! :-) Soooooo THIS just happened... 1 1/2” thick sirloin from Costco, perfect doneness, pretty much melted in my mouth. Got some equipment upgrades to get done for searing before I’m ready to call it perfection, but for a first shot at Sous Vide? I’m pretty darned happy.

Let the great Sous Vide journey of 2018 begin!

Attached Files

Comment

Looks perfect!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here