Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV-Q Beef Ribs - Part Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV-Q Beef Ribs - Part Two

Just before Christmas T-bone shared a post doing big beefy ribs via the sous vide-que process. He did a bath at 144* for 24 hours then smoked. I recall several comments offered by Potkettleblack talking about the possibility of doing some at a bath temperature of around 130* for a variety of hours. The lower temperature obviously works toward a medium rare result.

I have never tried beef shorties sous vide but saw the advantages. Instead of experimenting with a rather expensive cut of meat, I took a plate, divided it in half and thought about doing a couple of differing temperatures at varying times. On a whim I checked the old interweb and found that our friends at ChefSteps had already done the work for me.

​

Not to go through the entire details of what they discovered at varying temperatures versus time (here is the link if interested, beef short ribs) , I chose the 144* route after thinking I would prefer the 130* option better. At 144* in 48 hours they achieved a steak-like texture that still had a 'to the tooth' bite, but also had the beginnings of some soft shredding. That appealed to my palette.

I decided to just go ahead and do both halves at that 144/48 option. So in the bath they went......

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs bath.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	436740

.....at 48 hours I immediately removed them and chilled them in an ice bath for about 10 minutes. It was a Wednesday evening and I knew I had a brisket cooked planned for the weekend so I decided to refrigerate them in their shrink wrapped bags until that time. I pulled them out of the frig on Saturday, unbagged them and re-applied my seasoning....

Name:	refrg ribs.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	436741

Name:	smoke ready ribs.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	436742

...as I mentioned I had a brisket cook going at about 250-275* and toward the end of the cook I slapped the ribs on with it. I smoked them to about 150* IT, it took about an hour to get them up to temperature. As T-bone mentions in his post, they came out beautifully. Tender yet steak like (as ChefSteps had described) and still full of juiciness......

Name:	smoked ribs.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	436743

Name:	ribs cut open.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	436744

Bottom line I'm sold on sous vide-que for shorties. There really is little or no difference between this result and a straight smoke. The advantage is the ability to control precisely the outcome of the initial cook with the smoke finish being the only variable. Thanks T-bone for starting this, perhaps a third try at the 130* mark is in order for final comparison, I agree the higher temperatures are of no interest to me.

KEEP THAT BATH WATER CIRCULATING AND YOUR SMOKE BLUE ..... TROUTMAN OUT !!!

wow! I just ate and that still made me hungary!

Comment

133*x72h for the win.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Could care less about a smoke ring! The flavor was different. Wife says the same about burgers, steaks and lamb chops so far. "They don't taste like you did them on the grill" is what I hear from her.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, do you smoke for an hour or two post bath? Like I said the smoky taste was definitely there in those ribs, in fact I had one for lunch and can still taste it in my mouth !! Not saying its exactly the same as total smoke, you guys must really like a deep smoky note to your meat.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Might have been better if they were cut into individual ribs vs a whole slab? More surface area... May try again sometime.

Looks good

Comment

I'm doing chefsteps sous vide braised short ribs for supper tonight. 167 F for 24 hours. Will let ya know what I think.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea braising makes meat so wonderfully tender. I'm still a pot roast guy between you me and the wall. I saw that recipe on ChefSteps, may give it a try sometime. Thanks ROK !!!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Process purge per my instructions, rather than ChefSteps, and they work a bit better.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack, yes, I definitely process my purge prior to using. That stuff is liquid gold!

Those look awesome! Glad it worked out so well. Next time though, I’m definitely trying the Potkettleblack method.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here