Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Sous Vide + PBC Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Sous Vide + PBC Chuck

Got a relatively short window for a SV + PBC cook, so here's my plan... 155x8 (nekkid, maybe salt), then chill, rub and refrigerate overnight. Put on the PBC following day.

Want to slice, not pull. Final temp thoughts? Any other advice or tips? Seems like I recall a Potkettleblack similar method a while back but no luck finding that thread.

Thanks in advance!

I go 18 hours in the bath, but at 130 because I want steak like.

Comment

I think I'm going for brisket-like, or somewhere between steak and brisket.

Comment

Here's some Potkettleblack advice I captured in my files:

If you are inclined to attempt this again, do a chuck (unless brisket is cheaper where you are... in which case do a brisket flat). Put it in for 135* for 24 hours... pinch the bag. If it’s not tender, it's not ready. Give it another 12. Repeat until it’s tender under your pinch. When it's tender, shock it cold in an ice bath. Refrigerate overnight. You want this cold on the grill/smoker. Dry it off, rub it, put it on at 225-250* and let it run until it's rethermed. Then, take it off, and heat your sear up to sear temps and sear it until you have the crust you want. That should produce closer to what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks EdF. My time crunch has me cranking up the SV temp for this one. For as-close-to-brisket-like consistency what's a best guess on final temp in smoker?

Comment

155x8, pinch for tenderness. Shock, fridge, season, smoke to bark or reverse sear.

If pinch test isn’t tender, go longer.

Comment

Thank you sir Potkettleblack Any particular final temp target, or just when the bark looks right?

Comment

Personal preference but for BBQ texture you don’t have to worry about overshooting.

One thing about slicing chuckies. The grain runs all over the place, as it’s really a cluster of muscles rather than a two muscle primal like brisket.

Comment

Results...

SV'd at 155x8.
                  Shocked in ice bath.
                  Salted overnight in fridge.
                  BBBR with a hint of MMD just before going into PBC with KBB and apple wood chunks.
                  PBC was running hotter than usual for some reason, even with temps in 30s and 6" of snow (yes, in Charleston SC - 3rd largest snow on record).
                  Barked up very quickly.
                  Finished by braising in a covered foil pan with about a cup of the purge. (The bath produced exactly 2 cups of purge from this 3.5 lb chuckie - excessive?).
                  Held in 170ish oven before slicing and serving.

Very good flavor and a nice bark, very slight smoke ring. Firm texture but not tough. "Medium" moisture, would have liked slightly juicier mouthfeel, but wasn't bad. Would probably go lower/longer in the bath next time (tenderize more with less moisture loss?), but just didn't have the time for my 1st SV cook and really wanted to use my new Anova.

...and threw a few beef back rib singles in at same time, just because...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_182555.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	436563Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_143002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	436564

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice cook.

Next time, no need to braise. Just bark it up, slide and serve. It should already be tender. You’ll be amazed when you do longer and lower.

That amount of purge is about right for that temp and time.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here