Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - Lessons Learned - Successes Earned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib - Lessons Learned - Successes Earned

Click image for larger version

Name:	26167526_10213973642445421_3954161312776087161_n.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	430218
    The proof at the top.

This was a 2 bone prime rib section. I frenched the bones, separated the ribs from the eye and spinalis, then tied back together. I then crammed it into a foodsaver bag I had made, bones pointing towards the opening of the bag. Tight fit, and both sides have that vac bag grid on them.

It went into a 6 hour bath at 135, being sensitive to wife's preferences, as prime rib is not her first choice. Tenderloin and wellingtons are her first choice, but Costco seems to have stopped selling the whole primal with side meat, and I couldn't bring myself to buy a pre-trimmed tenderloin at the price they were getting. NO!

Out of the bath, it went into the fridge for a week or so. I bought the thing the week before the holiday, and did not want it sitting around in the fridge as the butcher packed it. Much happier with it vac sealed and cooked for the week in the fridge.

I put it in a bath to reheat it, about an hour. This was insufficient. Which leads me learned lesson #1. I should have just vac packed it when I bought it, and cooked it on the day of service. Or, I should have booked three hours to reheat it in the bath. Or, I should have stuffed it into a 200* oven for several hours, though that seems like the least safe option food safety wise.

Out of the bath, I peeled some silverskin off the top, brushed it with a whipped egg white, and laid on a nice layer of Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. I like to remix Meathead x Chefsteps x Sous Vide Resources, taking the best of each. Blasted in a 450 oven for maybe 10 minutes. This was perfect.

The other lesson I think I've learned, or experiment for the next time I want to drop prime rib money, I might do a second cut, up the fatty eye of the rib eye. Take out the iconic chunk of fat. I kind of like the gristle, but that fat isn't really doing anything and could be trimmed, meat glued back together, and tied.

The ribs are a nice presentation base, but I think next go I might get boneless, just for ease of use regarding stuffing in the bag.

I also found out they make pleated bags for vac sealers. They will accomodate much larger objects, like a full packer, or a larger prime rib. Nice.

I so want to do one reconstructed with the glue.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not reattach to the ribs, as that's purely for presentation. But I would not mind cutting that fat and gristle line out and binding back together.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack I'm not into bones on a rib roast, I want darkness all around.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      We did that with turkey thighs for bacon and breasts for a roullade. I’m on break right now but I vac sealed the extras a put in the freezer. I’ll check the walk in after my break. They were fabulous!! Meat glue is pretty cool.

As I mentioned in another post, that is one beautimus piece of rib roast Potkettleblack . The egg white versus butter/oil was also a clever touch.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Old chef trick. It’s very sticky stuff and pretty much unflavored, so it binds very well without any harm. I’m tempted to try it with some brisket or pulled pork.

I also cooked my Prime rib via Sous Vide.
    First, I heated some oil in a large cast iron pan. I pre-seared the roast on each side. About half way through the searing process, I added crushed garlic cloves and rosemary to the pan.
    After searing, I threw the roast in a vac sealed bag with the sautéed garlic and rosemary. The whole package went into the bath at 129 F for about 6 hours.
    After the SV step, I open the bags and saved the purge. I set the roasts out on a cutting board. I covered them with avocado oil, then rolled the roasts in Mrs. O'leary's Cow Crust.
    Finally, I placed each roast onto a elevated rack and threw it into my convection oven at 550 F for about 6 minutes. I then rotated the pan and gave it another six minutes. The results were fantastic.
    The purge also made an incredible sauce to compliment the Prime Rib. I don't know if I will cook a Prime Rib any other way.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9829.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	430368

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3672.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	430367Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3675.JPG Views:	2 Size:	239.9 KB ID:	430365Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2750.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	430366

Comment

• Sharklovers
      Sharklovers commented
      Editing a comment
      Anniversary dinner...only comes once a year, so gotta make the splurge!

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Did you dry brine prior to SV?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep!! Give the meat a good trim and then a dry brine and you should be good to go. dirtman

You done good.

Comment

The head butcher at our local Costco told me that the prime filet steaks they sell arrive as a small chub - almost big enough for 4 nice steaks. Ask if you can get one uncut - if that will be big enough. Great looking proteins everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        The head butcher at our local Costco told me that the prime filet steaks they sell arrive as a small chub - almost big enough for 4 nice steaks. Ask if you can get one uncut - if that will be big enough. Great looking proteins everyone.
        Yeah, at mine they sell a whole tenderloin for a better price per pound than the cut steaks, so getting the whole uncut chub at the price of the cut steaks seems like a bad idea, when I can get the full tenderloin.

What tweaks me is that I used to get this:

Name:	DSC_0066fix.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	430669
        Which comes with a wing (Iliacus muscle), a chain (psoas minor) and the tenderloin (psoas major)

Name:	DSC_0098fix2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	430670

I did enough of these back when I lived in NoVA that I got to where the breakdown and vac pack was maybe half an hour. Cleaning up the chain is a bit tricky, as it's laced through with silverskin, so you get a bunch of chunks. The wing is a nice chateaubriand type roast, the chain makes great sandwiches and fast cook tender meat for things like stroganoff and cheesesteaks. And the Tenderloin is pure filet action.

This is what they sell now:

Name:	_M4A6262.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	430671
        This seems like it has the wing, but I'm pretty sure no chain. If you squint really hard at that first picture, you'll see the price, in 2013, was $10.99 a pound. The price of the new offering from 2013 is $16.99 a pound.

I assure you I'm not trimming a third of the tenderloin to get to the higher number.

It's the principle of the thing. I have the know how to do the more affordable thing (thank you Alton Brown... Tender is the Loin 1 & 2 were what really started me on the cooking journey I've been on for the last 11 years since I first saw it). So, I kind of object to paying the higher price for the work to be done already and for less stuff. Pisses me off, as they still sell whole strip loin and whole ribeye for the home butcher to process.

As I said, it's the principle.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That side chain (minor) meat is fabulous for stir fry or skewered. So good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here