Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to sous vide

Hello,

I have been looking at sous vide for years and this past year decided I wanted to get one. This past weekend my wife got me the anova for my bday and it has not disappointed, the salmon, chicken and pork have all been fantastic.

I do have a few questions?

1. Is there a place where newbie recommendations and techniques are listed?

2. Why do you need to put some food in a cold bath after you cook it? Esecially if you are just going to put back on a grill.

3. What do most people use to finish on? I was looking at a 14 in weber joe but didn't know if I should hold off for a 22in grill that would be more versitle,and just use a charcoal basket. Currently I have a pbc but was looking for something with less charcoal

Any insight would be appreciated

The Chefsteps web site, Anova's web site I would imagine has some information you would find helpful, lots of other stuff on the web. The ice water "shock" will chill the item fast, either to get it quickly out of the danger zone of bacteria growth and also to keep other things in the refrigerator from getting warmed up. For the grill (smoker) if you want to add smoke flavor cold meat will attract more and for searing it will help get a good crust without overcooking if colder.

Comment

Potkettleblack is the man for SV questions. He will be able to answer these questions better than I. I am sure he will chime in soon.

Comment

Both Meathead and Clint Cantwell have "new" SVQ recipes on the free side. (Like this one: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...om-round-roast)

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if that recipe is as tested as the other stuff on the free site. There are lots of things I wouldn't do and lots of things that aren't accurate.
          Ferinstance: I wouldn't rub before the bag. He's not using the purge, and the rub isn't penetrating the meat.
          Also, once shocked cold, it will be fine in the fridge for a looooong time, not a mere 2 days.

Re #1: There are a ton of places on the internet. Chefsteps, SeriousEats, and more. My favorites for things are:
        Sousvideresources.com. Someday, Norm will put out the book that I GoFunded, and the sous vide world will be transformed for the better.
        The Alcoholian (google it... not always doing SV, but always cooking something great)
        Kosher Dosher (google it... Lloyd is always doing something, SV, curing, smoking, SVQing, etc).
        Between those three sites, plus ChefSteps, SeriousEats and probably the Anova app... if they haven't sous'd it, it's probably not well suited to sousing. But you can always use the google for whatever.

Re#2: I shock things in a solution of ice and water (aka ice water), pretty much always. There are a few reasons. #1 is because I don't want to overcook it during the finishing stage. If you take a 131 degree steak out of the bag, dry it off and throw it on the screaming hot grill, the heat will penetrate, and create the grey band of meat under the sear which is undesireable, and really against the whole point of sous viding. #2 is food safety. You've cooked something just above the danger zone for bad bacteria growth, and then you're gonna let it coast down below the danger zone? Nope. I don't just chuck it in the fridge or freezer from out of the sous vide, because it can warm up stuff in the fridge or freezer, and create more danger zone.
        Norm has a lot more on this: http://sousvideresources.com/2016/07...t-be-shocking/

PS- I have vowed that anyone who uses Clint Cantwell's silly name for shocking will be on my "no reply" list. It is shocking. Since the dawn of the practice of shocking hot vegetables cold to preserve their color. I'm not even gonna name his silly name. anyone outside the AR community will look at you with a puzzled look if you use it.

Re#3: There are as many ways to finish sous vide products as there are to cook them. I do some under the broiler, I do some on my sear station, I smoke some, I deep fry some, I cast iron sear on the stove top... As with everything in cooking, you have to start with the end goal in mind. I never SV something to see what happens, just like I don't mix a bread dough just to see what happens when I bake it. I'm always starting with the end in mind. In that manner, it's just like all the other cooking everyone else does.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the site mentions. Now in my bookmarks for further reading.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          It's funny. It's folks I found in my early days of sous viding, before there was a ChefSteps and before Kenji got interested. It was Doug Baldwin and a bunch of yahoos, and an egullet thread that would lead to Modernist Cuisine. Alcoholian and KD are some of those yahoos, and then I found Norm's group on FB, and have befriended both of them. It's pretty cool.

I can’t help you but there is an expert or two here in the Pit that can help you. 😊🍺

Comment

Potkettleblack I just read the article you mentioned on shocking. I shock (which I learned from others) for the same reasons he mentions, food safety but also to not overshoot my ultimate temperature after the bath and on the smoker (or whatever finish is necessary). But then he goes on to talk about degrees of shocking but was really not very specific. In other words he intimates that shocking may not be necessary in some circumstances, but then talks about lowering the temperature only 10-15* and it left me with more questions. What is the norm for shocking? What is the proper temperature gradient? How long do you actually shock for? Do you pull out a Thermopen and take the meat's temperature?

I then looked further around the Sous Vide Resources site (nice site by the way) and found his recipe for a brisket flat (which is my next cook) and found that he shocked it by just using tap water in the bath container by changing it out like 3 times to get it to around the 70* mark he said was the temperature of the water. No ice, just water. No time given.

I'm going to read further on my own because, as I said, I'm really more confused about the shocking process then the simple step I thought it to be. Perhaps you can embellish on the topic.

Comment

It’s all time and tide. If I’m shocking to finish on the grill, taking it all the way down and food safety are not necessary. Ten minutes, sear to death, profit.

If im shocking to smoke, I want it cooler on the surface. Longer shock.

If im throwing it in the fridge for a week, I’ll do a longer shock to get it to fridgeable temp quickly. If it’s a big cut, I might do a staged shock like Norm’s Flat. I’ve done a ten minutes just on the counter, ten minutes cold tap, ten minutes ice. I forget why. Tenderness experiment? Maybe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here