Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry steaks - ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry steaks - ???

What am I doing wrong? I sous vide a steak at 130F for 2 hours and then pat dry and sear it both sides with a touch of oil. The bag has lots of juice in it and the steak turns out dry. My wife thinks there is a bad taste - like a boiled meat taste which she detests. I tried both frozen and fresh. London Broil and strip steaks. Each time I used vacuum sealed bags w/o seasoning

Select, Choice or Prime?

Comment

If you had a LOT of liquid in the bag then I suspect you had a bag leak. Was your water tinged with a brown color? I've had that happen to me, it literally draws all the water out of the meat. You're left with a piece of shoe leather. Since then I always double bag my meat before the bath, especially at higher temps like 160*.

Comment

Are you dry brining them before SVing them. It is recommended not to add salt before SVing.

Comment

No---I don't dry brine. Actually - no seasoning at all. and there was no bag leak, as the vacuum seal was still there. I am assuming the results I'm getting are not typical. I do use choice meat and won't go prime until I perfect this.

Comment

Check the temperature?

Comment

what KIND of bag are you using? if it is not at LEAST a freezer bag then absolutely a bag leak. also the amount of bag juices. do you drop the bag all the way INTO the water? you could be leaking at the zipper opening (they're not great and need extra help) but, one way to fix that is, simply, to use a larger bag and attache the top of the bag to the edge of your container with a clip of some sort. if you're doing something in a cooler. hake some kind of top of liquid cross bars and attach the bags to them.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, we use binder clips or clothespins, whichever. but, most of the time, they aren't really needed. using a quart freezer bag, most of the time, when we drop the bag in, folding the top over often adds just enough curve to hold the bag there. but, a clip is also great insurance.

• dlaslo
                dlaslo commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm using FoodSaver vacuum seal bags - and they are not leaking.

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                what are you putting IN the bag then? cause there has to be something.

Whatever the "London Broil" is, it will need more than two hours to be tender. "London Broil" is not a cut, so much as a way to market a couple of different cuts that look attractive.

Choice will want more more time than prime.
              Temp is doneness, time is tenderness.

I think Karon has hit it. What kind of bags are you using. I use ziploc Freezer bags for most things like what you’re doing.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                IIRC, London Broil was one of the many and vried names for a brisket. I am not certain but i believe that was the cut my mom used to call London Broil.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, but it's currently most often round, sometimes flank, sometimes oddly cut brisket, basically, anything cut to a square roast that isn't the loin. In a group I'm in, the admin gets nuts when people ask how to SV London Broil, because it's a marketing term.

If you have frozen and refrozen the steaks, you might have done some damage to the cellular structure of the protein that would cause more liquid release.

If you are SVing a loin steak (strip/ribeye), naked, for 130x2, you should get at most a couple tablespoons of purge.

Comment

Really don't have to sous vide if steaks are at room temp before you put them on. You may be overcooking on the grill. After u place steak on hot grill give it 2 min. give it a quarter turn for another 2 min. Flip and repeat process, only after the flip start basting with melted garlic beef butter. Loosly wrap steak in foil and let rest 10 min. 3/4" steak medium well only takes 8-10 min. I personally think sous vide pulls moisture out.

Comment

I didn't put anything in the bags. Thought that might be my problem.

When I grilled the London Broil, I used a Weber gas grill with an insertable griddle. I then preheated to max griddle temperature and seared both sides only about 90 seconds each (Pittsburg style). That was enough to sear perfectly. When I seared the NY Strips, I used the same grill, but without the griddle.

I need to try this again....something I'm doing is not right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here