Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adapting a turkey recipe to sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    You're right - the role of the huli-huli in the recipe is not clear. Digging deeper, it looks like it's used for basting in the non-SV version. But you're not going to get a lot of basting time with SV-ed turkey. So, maybe do the initial dry-brine, then marinate a while (reserving some of your marinade for basting), then SV, then sear or smoke and baste? Meathead ? got thoughts on the matter?

• Bruce Z
    replied
    I read the recipe for both the chicken and the marinade. The 12-24 hour cooking time is what is confusing me. Do I start with just salt and sugar and add the marinade 3-6 hours prior to removing it from the water or add it at the time I start my sous vide cook?

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, that looks really good. Just replace the huli-huli marinade with yours.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I would consider looking at this recipe for Sous Vide Turkey. You can add your own brine or recipe, just follow the steps provided in the link.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Z
    started a topic Adapting a turkey recipe to sous vide

Adapting a turkey recipe to sous vide

I have a marinated turkey recipe I have loved since the 60's. 1 part soy sauce, 1 part peanut oil, 1 part sauterne wine. The turkey is cut into 4 to 8 pieces and placed into the marinade anywhere from 3 to 24 hours. Remove from the marinade and grill for color. Heat the marinade in a large pot to boiling, add the turkey and reduce to a simmer for a couple of hours.

So if I want to try this as a sous vide method should I marinate first then sous vide at 140 for 12 to 24 hours, then grill for color? Or just marinade through the sous vide process and then grill for color?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here