Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Steak Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking the meat in ice water will help reduce the grey band when searing. As will preheating the pan in a 450-500* oven.

Comment

• Ramjet49
      Ramjet49 commented
      Editing a comment
      Was wondering how long to shock. I ice water bathed two steaks after sv then seared on my kamado. By the time I got the sides and steaks plated , the steaks were luke warm. (Still awesome taste tho)

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      10 minutes is sufficient, in my experience, to cool the exterior without doing the interior too much. 5 minutes might work as well... you just want the surface cool, so the sear stays on the surface.

Awesome update Hugh , this is what The Pit is all about!

Comment

Heating the CI skillet in the oven to 450-500 deg F sure can't hurt, Hugh . CI pans are great at retaining heat but can heat unevenly on the cooktop. Heating one up in the oven ensures consistent heat across the surface.

Thanks for the great review and wonderful photos. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Chronic insomniac, Huskee . If only I could sleep all night, dreaming of BBQ!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry. But if it's any consolation I'm with you.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great tip about heating the skillet in the oven. I never understood exactly why folks did that til now.

Ahhhh! That is why people say to put the fry pan in the oven. Thank you Fzxdoc

Comment

To fix the uneven heat I mean

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here