Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inagural Sous Vide Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After you get your feet under you with sous vide cooking, try scallops. I have no idea what it does to Costco scallops, but they become so sweet and delicious with a quick sear to finish.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't wait to try that!

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      Added to the mental list. Thanks.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      LangInGibsonia, I made a folder in gmail called "want to cook." Everytime I come across something I want to cook one day, I send myself an email with the dish in the subject line and then store it in the "want to cook" folder. When the weekend approaches I review it, and pick one.

Thanks so much to everyone for these suggestions. The new toy arrived last night around 8pm , and despite being completely exhausted I couldn't resist trying it out. I cooked 5 airline chickens per Potkettleblack suggestion. I seared one in CI around 10pm when everyone else was asleep and enjoyed it immensely. The texture and juiciness were amazing.Two are reheating now in the "hot tub" for Mrs. hoovarmin and #3, and I'll be searing them on the kettle in a bit. This morning for breakfast we enjoyed perfect "Ramen Eggs," something I have pursued and never achieved for quite some time. Low and behold, Georgia rookie 903, I went to Publix this morning after breakfast with #4 and they had a Tri-Tip! I thanked the butcher for stocking it and he said "I can't believe you're buying that - nobody ever buys them so we never put them out." So, in an hour or so I intend to Sous Vide the Tri-tip 3 hours at 130 and then reverse sear on the kettle. I really can't describe how much enjoyment I've derived from following the suggestions of all of you here in The Pit. Thank you all for responding to my post with such great suggestions and guidance.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      hey buddy dont be afraid to cook that for more then 3 hours if you need to. are you going to go straight to the grill or hold it cold?

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      There are two schools of thought on sirloin (tri tip). One is treat it for minimum cook through, like 3 hrs. The other is to take it long, to 8-24 or so.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc persuaded me to extend the cook, HouseHomey. I'm going 15 hours and then an ice bath.

That's great to hear about that moist juicy chicken and I know Mrs Hoovarmin will enjoy that too. And can't wait to hear about that tri tip wow now I am fired up. thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in and letting me in your passenger car on the ARS Train ride ..wheat

Comment

FWIW, for Tri Tip, I do 12 to 15 hours at 131°F followed by a quick sear per Breadhead's recommendations over on this topic. Turns out marvelous.

But hey, everyone's got their own tri-tip sweet spot. Have fun finding yours, hoovarmin .

Kathryn

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc, I got no problem taking this Tri Tip for a longer ride. Thanks so much! Dinner plans just changed.

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        I do this also, hoovarmin. Works great for me!

The first thing I did in my sous-vide (I have an Anova) was a flatiron steak. Cut a 16oz flatiron into two 8oz steaks. Salt, pepper, crushed garlic, into the foodsaver. Into the bath at 135 for 1 1/2 hours. Sear however you feel like it (I did it in a cast iron skillet), and serve with prosciutto wrapped asparagus. I think the whole meal cost $19 ($7 for the steak, $5 for the asparagus, and $7 for the prosciutto). I did the asparagus on the smoker while I was finishing the steak in case you're curious.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum. How did the steak turn out, phrogpilot73 ?

• phrogpilot73
        phrogpilot73 commented
        Editing a comment
        As tender as Filet, as flavorful as Rib Eye. It is now my wife's favorite cut of meat, and it sold her on sous vide!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, phrogpilot73 . I'm going to give this a try.

Kathryn

Stick with fzxdoc and your golden. Whatever makes your boat float. Work that in.

Comment

Well, I enjoyed watching those ABCBBQ/Baby Back Maniac videos that Georgia rookie 903 mentioned as well.

They did one video with a 3 hour sous vide followed by cold grate reverse sear, and a second video with an 18 hour sous vide followed by cold grate reverse sear. Dave and Justin seemed to think the longer sous vide time was not as good for their steak from a texture viewpoint.

That's why I said earlier that it's fun to find the sweet spot for that cook, by trial and more trial for each Q'er and his/her setup and preferences. I don't think you can go too wrong either way as long as it's not cooked so long that it turns to mush.

For my setup, 12 to 15 hours at 131°F for tri tip works best. I've a done longer time only for a frozen tri tip. I did that tri tip sous vide from frozen where it's recommended that you add half again as much time as used for unfrozen meat. That one cook was done around 20 hours and turned out great.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 8, 2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Georgia rookie 903
          Georgia rookie 903 commented
          Editing a comment
          after watching video's and reading lots of post I think the lady (fzxdoc) is right find the sweet spot why? because its a low cost good piece of meat to practice with. do two of them like ABCBBQ/babyback maniac did . IMHO....wheat

I am skeptical of the add 50% more time for something from frozen tip. The Baldwin work suggests that for steaks should be like an extra half hour or so.

18h is too long for tritip imho. Especially if they're gonna turn around and do a reverse sear on it. I'd think for cold grate reverse sear, you'd want a lower initial Sous Vide time, as you're recooking it with the reverse sear.

Comment

A steak

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
            I am skeptical of the add 50% more time for something from frozen tip. The Baldwin work suggests that for steaks should be like an extra half hour or so.
            Good to know, Potkettleblack . I didn't check in Baldwin's book, since Chef Steps (on my Joule app) recommended adding half again as much time for frozen. I followed the CS recommendation for that one frozen-to-table cook and my tri tip turned out perfect for us.

Kathryn

Comment

So I kept the Tri-Tip in the Sous Vide at 131 for 15 hours and then into an ice bath and the the fridge. in the evening I put it in the kettle at 225 and brought it up to 110 per Dave and Justin's instruction, then pulled it off and fired up a chimney of charcoal. I used the cold grate method, spinning every 60 seconds and flipping for a total of 4 minutes. I got a great sear, but unfortunately, the interior was cooked far beyond my tastes. My kids liked it, and there weren't any leftovers, but anything above Med Rare for me may as well be out of a can. I'm thinking I must have seared too long? Maybe too high a temp on the sear?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4546.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	392809
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4547.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	392810

Comment

4 minutes is obviously too long. With a reverse sear, should be able to have a very dry and warm surface, ready for fast blast to sear.

Im not familiar with this "cold grate" method, but a 15 secondx4 per side should sear it nicely without developing that grey band as wide.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't believe I blew it like that. Like I said, the family enjoyed it, so it wasn't a total loss. I'm definitely going to do again and get it right.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Minimizing the grey band with searing is one of the harder parts of Sous vide cookery. As I said, screaming hot 15 seconds a side for a total of two minutes. Flipping every 15 cools the off side, and minimizes grey band.

The Tri-Tip is one of my favorites. Salt & Pepper then bag, add a bit of bbq sauce. Seal sous vide 6 hrs at 130. Remove from bag, brush liberally with more bbq sauce, sprinkle with brown sugar. Sear over super hot grill, just a couple min per side or until sugars caramelize. Slice.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds delicious, Missin44 .

As others have said, getting the sear right requires a bit of finesse, but rest assured, hoovarmin , your next tri-tip will be pretty doggone perfect. This cook is already pretty high up on the learning curve, looks like to me.

How was the tenderness of that tri-tip?

Kathryn

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It wasn't like filet mignon, but it wasn't at all tough. I cooked it so much that it's hard to evaluate the effect the SV had.

@"The Pit" etal, I ordered My Joule back when it was a Kickstarter Product at the Urging of MeatHead‼️ Todate it is Still in the Original Box Unused❓ I "May" Have to get It Out & Try It On "Sumpin" after READING and SEEING All of These Great Cooks and Tips❓❓‼️❓❓ 🤔😚🙄😚🤔
                Eat Well and Prosper!❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No time like the present to grab that Joule and do a cook, Danjohnston949 . I'd love to see how you wrangle a hunk of tri-tip into submission.

K.

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc, Kathryn when My Parents had their Meat Market, They Called that $8.00 - $11.00 per Lb Tri-Tip Roast Hamburger @ $1.65 / # ❓ 🤗😇🤗
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to school your 'rents on good eats nowadays! My kids do it to me all the time, although I draw the line at their "eggless egg salad", made with tofu. No thanks. Now pass the Snicker's Ice Cream Bar, I say to them. Hahaha.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here