Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inagural Sous Vide Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inagural Sous Vide Cook?

I ordered my Joule and hope to get it this week. What should I tackle as a first cook so that Mrs. hoovarmin can see what a great idea this was?

I suggest hot dogs - boiled - er - sv'ed at the precisely right temp, they should be great.

Comment

Tri- tip steak, go look on youtube for adrenaline barbeque company dave and Justin (baby back maniac)

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a contender, for sure.

Congratulations on your purchase. You’ll love it.

It it never ceases to amaze me how versatile and easy to use the Joule is. I’ve done steaks, chops, roasts, brisket, veggies and reheated leftovers just to name a few but without a doubt, the most impressive item was skinless/boneless chicken breasts. You’ll have to finish them on the grill or CI but both my wife and I were blown away by how moist and tender the chicken was when it came out of the hot tub. No more dry, tough or stringy chicken in our house.

Comment

I did beef ribs for my 1st cook. It was 30 hours the recipe said 48. They were awesome. My isn't a rib person but she loved them!
        Small filets were also good.

Comment

Burgers. Easy as can be and even shitty lean supermarket burgers turn out fantastic.

First time I did burgers my wife was blown away. Got generic 80/20 chuck from the supermarket, made 6-8oz patties. Cooked for ~45 min at around 125-130 deg and then Seared cast iron for 1 min per side. Wife couldn't believe it was made with the $4 per pound ground chuck.

Comment

I did chuck roast at 131 for 48 hours. I could not believe how tender it got.

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing like 48 hour Chuck 🔥

I second Georgia rookie 903 . TriTip is amazing!

Comment

Ribs. Spare ribs are great sous vide. Or baby backs.

Comment

Any kind of meat except pork chops. They're my nemesis on the Joule. Much better wet brined and reverse seared.

Too bad local fresh corn season is over, because corn off the cob with the Joule recipe is amazing. It's what made me buy my second Joule so I could have a veggie bath and a meat bath going at the same time.

Start by choosing a Joule recipe on their app and follow it. So simple and usually very, very good. Except for pork chops. Did I mention that?

Kathryn

Comment

Let's see. The thing has to be fast. So, short ribs, chuck roasts, sous-b-cue is out.
                It's gotta be easy and not require special bags, so corn on the cob is out (180+ degrees... not for ziplock freezer bags)

I'd go with something like airline chicken breasts.

I don't think enough people really explore modern poultry in enough depth with sous vide. It comes out so much better at low temp, it's insane.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really. I'm a big fan of sous viding the thing plain. Kenji's vinagrette works well, as does Chef's Steps Romesco sauce and Pesto. One time, I made some tenders in heavy cream with tabasco. That came out really nicely, as well. No penetration, but very good coating. But mostly, chicken flavored chicken, with a sauce after SV.

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Ptkettleblack, Got it, salt and pepper only tonight. I read on the website that there was no need to dry brine chicken using this method. Do you agree?

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is no need.

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
                Let's see.
                It's gotta be easy and not require special bags, so corn on the cob is out (180+ degrees... not for ziplock freezer bags)
                True--I use FoodSaver Gamesaver bags for corn, but don't seal them as the Joule app tells us to do because the moisture killed my last Food Saver sealer. I just press the air out and clip it the bag to the pot.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That said, SV Corn on the Cob is kind of amazing in it's best of all worlds way. Condensed flavor, infused butter, tender corn...

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it is!

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you guys are killing me, im starving now. Kathryn, you should try pork chops with that corn. : )

Ribeye

Comment

• shush
                  shush commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is what I did... And my family loved them!

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I won't do em any other way now.

It's not fancy, but my absolute favorite thing to do in the water bath is chicken wings. 165° for an hour or three then onto the grill to crisp them up. God, are they good.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
                  LangInGibsonia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know if they are white or dark but I do know I prefer them cooked like dark meat. I like them 165°-175°. Anything under that and they are rubbery and slimy to me. And I certainly am not a "cook the hell out of it" kind of person. I love my medium rare beef and medium pork. It's mostly a texture thing for me with wings, thighs, and drums.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think these two points of view are the crux of the argument with my spousal unit. I consider wings white meat, and she wants them cooked like dark meat.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  White-Dark is arbitrary. Working vs non-working, so fast twitch vs slow twitch.

The breast on a chicken does F all, because they don't fly. The legs do all the work, as they are big walkers. They flap their wings and the wings have all sorts of collagen... it's complicated.

tri-tip 3 hours then sear on the grill or in a pan on stove

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sounds Great, Georgia rookie 903, only tri-tip is hard to come by in these parts. But I'm going to ask the local butcher if he's got any coming in.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here