Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV then smoke chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV then smoke chuck

I have a 4 lb roast that was in the tub at 135° for 48 hours. Got the ice bath then fridge overnight. Right now it's in the Weber with SnS at 225°. What should I be looking for in final temp? Im looking for either slice or pull. Doesn't matter. It's going on banh mì sandwiches.

Personally (and others may differ), I'd bring it back up to 135, 140 tops, and pray for some good bark at that point. If it doesn't happen, there's always "pull it at 135 and sear it".

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is how I would do it.

Thanks, Ed. I was at 145° in less than 2 hours. No bark. Heated up the sear side and got it good crusty. I'm still a little worried about the juiciness. We'll see how it goes when I cut it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If the bag was full of purge, you could have processed it and added it to the sandwiches, as jus. If the bag didn't have a lot of purge, either you had a dry chuckie to start with, or all the jus is in the meat still. The connective gook in there should keep it lubed, though, either way.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know. I don't think you'll have a juiciness problem at that temp. Main thing was not to go so high IT that you cooked it more.

Thanks, guys. I knew I was fighting an uphill battle from the start because the roast had been frozen and there was a good amount of liquid in the bag when it thawed. And there was some awesome gelatinous purge when I took it out of the fridge.

I was hoping to get some bark, that's why I went as high as I did. Thanks to Ed's first comment I decided to stop and just crust it up on the GGs.

The flavor, texture and smoke were awesome even if it was a bit on the dry side. The mayo and pickled carrot and daikon helped juice up the sandwich.

Over all , it wasn't a perfect cook but the sandwich was still delicious!
    Attached Files

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It sure looks delicious!!

Nice lookin' Bahn Mi bro

Comment

Looks amazing!

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

Good looking sandwich!

Comment

One of my most favorite meals. Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here