Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrow's cook - inside blade steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's cook - inside blade steak

Walmart has some Inside Blade steak on for a really good price for these parts - $8.75/Kilogram. By the time you convert that to U.S. funds and convert from metric I get a head ache but I estimate that to be $2.70 per pound U.S.

Now I have to decide how the heck to cook it! I first instinct was low and slow on the BBQ but I noticed Meatheads recipe calls for marinade and direct grill. Looked at the chefsteps site and they recommend sous vide for 24 hours. I'm leaning to using the hot tub. Any suggestions for alternatives?

I won't have time to cook at two different temps to satisfy the crowd (2 like medium, 4 like well done) so I'll do them all to medium 140 degrees and solve the problem at the end. I think I will pull two of the steaks from the bath and give them a big chill so I can really put a sear on them and still have a nice pink interior. I will take the rest right to the gasser from the bath and cook them an extra 10 degrees to 150 before searing them with the others.

The sear system will be two weber chimney's for a fine afterburner sear.

What I like about this plan is I 'HAVE' to go get a second chimney to make it work...

Feedback welcomed. Potkettleblack, I want to try your 132 for 48 recipe but I only found these late yesterday. I'm going to try it with two I bought and threw in the freezer as a compare.

Ah, it's flat iron. I dunno that that needs long times. Pretty tender other than the connective material in the center, assuming they cut it the same there as here.

Some folks do them quick, like ribeye, but some folks, like Amazing Ribs own DouglasBaldwin suggest a longer time.

Doug recommends 131 x 12h. Here's how I'd roll for your situation. 140x12, remove the two, crank temp to 150x1. Or your way. I'm not so good with medium and well, because I don't eat anything (or know anyone that I cook for who wants that).

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a Canadian thing. ;-)

Your proposal sounds just about right to me.

So much for Walmart. Went back to buy a bunch of blade steaks and they were sold out. Folks are gettin pulled pork so I can experiment with it SV'd.

I have two blades frozen tho so later in the week I will give them a hot bath using Potkettleblack's suggestion of an extra hour at the end at 150 for my wife's steak.

Thx guys.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here