Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Brisket discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhhh... excuse the pun...but... you are hosed.

one cubic foot of propane = 2,516 BTUs, while one cubic foot of natural gas = 1,030 BTUs... but, it is cheaper to run natural gas which is why a lot of people run it. That and most houses have a gas line run to it. I don't care much for gas inside of the house and when I built the patio, I went propane because it burns hotter and is easier to manipulate. I rarely use the gas grill for anything beyond searing, but when I need a good reverse sear, I have it covered.

FWIW, they make a propane conversion for most grills if one were so inclined, but it might just be easier for you to purchase a searing torch based on need. I use my old Benzo that I keep out in the shed for the occasional plumbing job. It cranks out about 3500* so it also gets the job done... if you don't mind the mythical "torch taste"...

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      I have landed on the chimney for a good sear on beef and the back of my grillgrates for everything else. As fzxdoc has suggested, I'll get some sort of charcoal grill that affords me more surface area for charcoal searing for things like brisket. Thanks for the help FlaBouy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4163.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	389055Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4162.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	389056

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      3h smoke, 72hx131, 3 hr smoke. Thin flat, probably could have used less cooking on the front end. Great smoke flavor, though. Needs refinement.

Keep on doin' it

Comment

Looks good from here Potkettleblack. When you say it needs refinement, what didn't work? Looks like your cutting board has lots of juices on it.

Comment

Looks great. How did it eat, Potkettleblack ? Traditional brisket texture?

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
          Looks great. How did it eat, Potkettleblack ? Traditional brisket texture?

Kathryn
          Ate pretty good. Not exactly traditional fall apart texture, but I'd SV hotter if I wanted that. I like a steaky type brisket texture, which this delivered on, when cut properly, and not at the very thin end (which is somewhere between bark and jerky, but it was under a quarter inch at the start of cooking, and I didn't expect much from the tip. It's tasty, being all BBR bark, but the SV did nothing to save it.

The wife is a flat eater. I like that slice that is double decked, of point and flat. Cutting that for the proper grain of point, yielded a chewy flat. I might separate, so I can slice each piece according to its grain.

Wife likes the traditional texture, so my next experiment will be with higher SV temp. Probably something like 2h smoke, 155x12-24 (more research required), then 2-3 hour smoke to refix the bark.

What was a success here was: best smoke flavor of any SV item I've done and best bark of any meat I've done SV.

Question: Why did I get smoke ring dots in the middle of the slices?

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I wondered that too, Potkettleblack . I thought you had been experimenting with the pink salt. It's weird the way the smoke ring is so splotchy.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, I did a pink salt experiment a couple years ago with the sous vide. Maybe 2014. That didn't produce spots... it was the biggest "smoke" ring I've ever seen, though. No stick burner has ever produced the equal of a pink salt smoke ring.

I’m doing a brisket this weekend and love traditional texture. I’ve never SVed a brisket and have been following this thread trying to decide if I’m going to SV or not. At this point I still cannot decide but have been enjoying seeing ya’alls results.

Comment

• rodkeary
            rodkeary commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like the perfect time for a side by side comparison. Cut the brisket in two and SV one piece (smoke-SV-smoke) or whichever SV method you decide upon and cook the other piece the "traditional" way you have been doing it.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Buried about halfway down are the brisket notes, including some ideas for traditional texture. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIlTFr77..._MJOc6dUsrYfbw

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF thanks for the notes my bbq brother!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here