Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Brisket discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Brisket discussion

I noticed FlaBouy has been SV'ing briskets. I've been wanting to try it. Just wondering how to deal with the size of it. Both bag size and bath size. I use ziplocs and have only been able to get the 1 gallon size. I have an Anova which will handle 5 gallons of water which I put in a 7 gallon tank.

Do I cut it into pieces small enough to fit the 1 gallon bags?

How much meat can you stuff into a 5 gallon cook?

Most importantly, how much more reliable is a SV cook than a traditional cook for brisket (if at all) at producing a juicy brisket in the end?

I have the same questions, patiently awaiting replies......

Comment

Silly rabbit... haven't you heard? Size doesn't matter....

Take my SV brisket experiments with a grain of kosher salt. I am typically running comparisons against time/temp variations and take the brisket out of the equation by testing side by sides from the same cut of meat. That means I separate the flat and points and then cut those in half so I have one point and flat from the same brisket to run the side by sides with. The one gallon ziplocks work fine for this method and if I need a bigger bath, I have a modified styrofoam cooler that I get with all my shipped meats that handle the extended bath.

With all that said, I have yet to turn out a bad SV brisket. It is just a matter of deciding what you care for in a texture. My palate likes a 155* bath at around 36-48 hours. It is like eating prime rib.

To answer the reliability question, using the same grade of brisket and same time/temp profile, you have a 95% chance of hitting your target once you decide what your target is. It takes a bit of "testing" to find out where your texture preferences are. I also pre-smoke the brisket prior to bath and then reverse sear to gather the bark back to where it needs to be.. the key to that is a chilled bath after coming out of the SV bath so you can get real aggressive with the sear without further cooking the meat.

Oh... and watch out for the land sharks. They are hell on a beer stockpile.

Comment

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        Its funny that you say size doesn't matter. My wife tells me that all the time for some reason...

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the idea of just searing after the big chill to get a good bark, but I'm stuck on two things.

1) how do you sear a big hunk of meat like a brisket? I don't have a charcoal bbq so can't get a big surface.

2) can you get the whole hunk up to serving temp just through searing?

Thanks in advance!

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hugh,
        In the post he mentions separating the point and flat, and then cutting each of those in half. At this point, you now have much smaller cuts of the brisket that you can easily sear any variety of ways.

I got some 2g ziplocks, which will hold half a full packer nicely. I love those bags, and they seem better made than the 1g ziplocks.

If I was really set on doing a whole packer in one piece, I'd use one of two methods. 1 would be the vacuum sealer... roll out a 2-3ft bag and cram that sucker. The other would be using plastic wrap. The good stuff. Make a huge, whole packer tube and wrap that sucker tight.

But probably, I'd go with the two 2g ziplocks and my big cambro that I use for breadmaking.

Comment

The 2 gal freezer ziplocs are available here.

Comment

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          Be wary of any without a slider.

2.5 gal
        Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure if "storage sliders" are rated for food safety and temperature. Freezer bags are generally the durability/food safety champs.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Potkettleblack. I will keep searching for these and be sure to read the backs to ensure there are no BPA's.

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          and yet the picture on the box shows it "storing"... wait for it... food.

Now if I can source some brisket. None at Costco or Walmart. I will have to check with the local butchers, but if the price climbs too much, I end up back at a good chuck again.

Comment

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm. I haven't explored shipping. I assume its frozen. I've avoided frozen to date because it was too inconvenient to thaw before bbq'ing. I'm close to Costco and butchers so I can buy fresh.

But now that we are talking SV, maybe I should look into shipping and cooking from frozen.

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          My last Aged Prime Rib Roast was from Pat La Freida.. never frozen. My local butcher wanted $150 bucks for a Upper Choice 4 rib. I had La Freida drop me a 30 day dry aged for the same price plus 14 bucks next day delivery along with a prime packer that I could have bought for about 20 bucks cheaper, but La Freida ships top shelf. no brainer on my part and the people I cooked for think I am a god.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, it just never crossed my mind that I could buy direct so to speak. I'm up in Saskatchewan. If anyone up here has done some direct shipping and has a source, let me know. Thanks for the tip FlaBouy.

Not trying to trigger you MCS but if yo don't have a vacuum sealer, you should really look into getting one. The one I have has a attachment (well they all come with it mine is just permanently attached so I cant lose it) hose that allows it to do both Vacuum sealing and (what Food saver calls) fresh sealing. So you have the long rolls for Brisket and such but you also have the bags that you can suck most of the air out of but have a zip lock top so yo can keep butter or left overs from taking on the funky refrigerate smell. The zip lock ones are reusable (I guess so are the rolls if you dont put raw meat in them) my freezer and Fridge are full of vacuumed items. sealers are well worth the money and come in many different sizes and price points.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Hugh Don't know if you know who Alton Brown is? but he did a show on Porterhouse steaks (and dry ageing) where he used a chimney starter to cook said Porterhouse. ITs a little different than Meatheads way maybe check it out! https://youtu.be/t4aI_O8kcN8

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Very cool.

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Since I cook for just 2 (my wife and I) a vacuum sealer is a necessity. I can cook a full packer, a few ribs, maybe even a few chicken halves - and at the end of the night, vacuum seal into portions for fine eating. With winter slow approaching, it's great to take out a vacuum sealed portion of brisket with a half a chicken, warm it up and eat fine BBQ as the snow falls ;-)

Starting a brisket today. Purchased 10lb full packer at the Costco... it's salted with Omnivore salt, rubbed with BBBR, getting a couple hours of smoke on the grill. Will then be sectioned and then sous vided for 131 by 72, and then resmoked to temp after shock and chill. This is my first time doing it this way, so will report results next week.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to your results

Just cooked a 3 pound brisket flat at 135 for 48 hours. At the end of the cook there was 12 oz of liquid in bag which is about 22% of initial weight. Is this what I should anticipate. The texture of the brisket and tenderness was similar to a medium rare strip steak.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Process that purge into something tasty.

Hugh "I like the idea of just searing after the big chill to get a good bark, but I'm stuck on two things.

1) how do you sear a big hunk of meat like a brisket? I don't have a charcoal bbq so can't get a big surface.

2) can you get the whole hunk up to serving temp just through searing?

Thanks in advance!"

1) With authority...

2) By adjusting the length of time in the chill, yes. Meat cooks from the outside in... it also chills from the outside in. So if you chill coming out of the SV for a shorter time, the quick reverse sear will not raise the internals but caramelize the outside just fine.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I gotta ask. Just how dangerous is this modification. More importantly, what do I need to do it? I do love my weber but it needs some testosterone. I hear ya on that warranty.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          "With authority". Gotta like that!

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL.. I am the Master of my own domain... most days...

Hugh "Ok, I gotta ask. Just how dangerous is this modification. More importantly, what do I need to do it? I do love my weber but it needs some testosterone. I hear ya on that warranty."

LOL... no warranty issue whatsoever. That is keyboard conjecture. Second, most all grills ship in pieces and one of those pieces is the gas hose that connects to the tank. It has a regulator screwed onto it called a "Low Pressure" regulator typically rated to 50,000 BTU. Most 3,4,5 burner grills are in the 35,000 - 50,000 btu range. The rest of the gas train is open plenum with factory drill "orifices" in their burner. it is an open pipe with a valve control built into individual knobs for each burner, allfed from the single gas line on the inlet. Go to home depot and look at the replacement burner and you will see it is a simple tube with holes in it. Most factory regulators are set at 1/2 psi and the factory matches their pilot holes, lines, burners and gas valves around that 1/2 pound regulator. Once the burners or valves burn out/rust/etc.. you just replace them by unscrewing them and replacing them with off the shelf aftermarket from home depot, lowes, amazon, etc. The regulator is set at 1/2 psi but the tank pressure can be drastically higher, especially when in the sun, heat, etc. The regulator just keeps the flame at a consistent pressure(read output) regardless of what the tank pressure is. Back to that hose with the regulator screwed onto it. One end screws onto the propane tank with an Acme fitting (Big Red or Grey knob fitting). Every time you change the propane tank, you take this fitting on and off. On the other end of that line is a 1/4" ID fitting that connects to your gas feed to the burners via the knobs. An open end wrench removes that fitting once you remove the tank from the grill to depressurize the line. You then screw on the new gas line that comes with the new regulator and connect back to the tank. Easy peasey.. so easy, even a cave man can do it. I use the 0-20 psi because it matches the setup I have on the fire pit I designed and built. The H-Burner I embedded into the pit is rated at 140,000 btu and the "Low Pressure" regulator puts up about a 1/2 " flame. I changed it over to an adjustable regulator with pressure gauge and I can now hold a respectable flame in windy conditions. For your grill, a 0-5 psi or 0-10 psi will serve you well since I rarely run mine more than 2-3 psi. One you set it, you forget it unless you want to kick it, and that is when the pressure gauge comes in handy. Here is a link to buy the hose with regulator and gauge. These guys are BBQ expert also, so you can also pick up cookers, burners, fittings etc... any questions, just give them a call and they will explain away, recommend the right configuration, build it for you, and ship it immediately.. for pretty cheap for what it is worth in our world. Take the plunge. This is one decision you will never regret. It is cheap, easy, and effective. win/win/win

PSA: There were no grills or pits harmed in the making of this demonstration. Children, do not try this at home. Actors portrayed in this thread are unpaid unprofessionals.

P.S.S... Did I mention it screws on the factory fitting and if you have any issues you re-install the factory regulator and move on?

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Hi...-Regulators/45

Edit: Damn typos and damn big fingers on phone keyboard
        Last edited by FlaBouy; September 25, 2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Having just reviewed the limited warranty on my grill, this is not "keyboard conjecture."

First pic shows the entire assembly at my fire pit.. second pic is the other assembly hooked up to the tank in the grill. If you want to set it at the factory 1/2 pound for whatever reason, it is one small turn.. if you want to crank it up, turn it the opposite direction...
        Attached Files

Comment

Outstanding write up and pictures thank you.

But I think I'm hooped. I run natural gas. First picture shows the hookup on my bbq. Second picture shows gas line hookup on my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	385896Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	385898
          Attached Files

Comment

Third picture was a mistake!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here