Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback Wanted on next big cook - SV pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback Wanted on next big cook - SV pulled pork?

I've got a large family gathering at my house on October 8th. Just need a simple cook to provide a late lunch around 2pm.

Based on what others have told me, pulled pork is one of the more forgiving cooks so I'm leaning that way with Meatheads coleslaw and good buns.

I'm leaning towards sous vide with a big chill a couple days before so I can just slap it on the bbq for a smoke and finish for a few hours before the event.

I haven't done pulled pork sous vide before and I am nervous about trying something new for such a big crowd.

Any concerns?

I thought I would use Kenji Lopez's approach at good eats http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...er-recipe.html

I'll use Memphis rub.

Kenji recommends 165 for 18 to 24 hours for a texture like traditional pulled pork.

I'm a little nervous about using ziploc bags at that temp. Will they hold?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hugh

@135F, MOST CUTS CAN WILL BE TENDER AFTER 24 HOURS,
    although many people go considerably longer, and hotter, to achieve the "pulled pork" result. Again, use the pinch test to refine results.

IMHO: Kenji doesn't embrace the longer times necessary to get traditional BBQ texture at lower temperature.

If you want a smoke ring at 165, you should smoke-sous-smoke, to fix the myoglobin and produce that ring ahead of cooking the meat full through. Myoglobin discolors at 132F, which is why I'm skeptical of folks sous viding warm to hot and then getting a smoke ring, without nitrates or pre-smoking. Not saying anyone is dishonest, just saying I'm skeptical.

I don't trust ziplocks at 165. I would use my vac sealer. Those bags are better. But I'd do it at 135 for 48 hours, then smoke for bark. But you probably could have guessed that already.

Comment

Thanks for checking in Potkettleblack, I was hoping you might. I checked my notes and your right, I should have guessed your recommendation. Your saying cook it like a chuck - 135 for 48 hours. I'm still working on my SV skills with roasts. If I get any pink, people up here worry it isn't cooked/safe (specifically for hamburger, chicken and pork). If I cook it at 135 I assume I'll have some of that going on? What would you do if your audience wanted it 'not pink'?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        probably get a new audience. ;-)
        Go 135x48, then 2x140.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

LOL

I should of put that as a constraint. I'm too old to get new family.

2 extra hours in the bath at 140 will solve the problem? I still don't understand this part of SV so please bear with me. Meathead's temp guide for 'doneness' has 135-145 for pork being 'cream color, some pink'. Would the Sous Vide internal temp after a long cook correspond to this? 145-155 on his guide says 'cream color, firm, slightly juicy'.

If I have this right, taking it to 140 briefly will still be flirting with pink but will still leave it as jucy as possible.

Its a plan. 135 for 48, 140 for 2, big chill, refrigerate, smoke 2-3 hours for bark and to re-therm.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine, 145.
        I can't help your family if they don't want to help themselves.
        Or just do it Kenji's style. He's not dumb. He's just not open to doing certain things at lower temps for longer times.

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL - No wait, I agree with you! Now that I have read the material at the website, I understand what your saying and it makes sense. A longer cook will make it look less 'undercooked'. You've told me that a number of times but I didn't get it.

Pulled pork plan is 135 for 48 hours with 2 hours at 140. I'm in.

I've done the SV and then smoked for both a pulled pork and a brisket using Kenji's approach. For pulled pork I did it twice at 163-165 degrees for 24 hours (i vaguely recall using 163 the first time but not positive). Both times I used a vacuum sealer and put in fridge overnight before smoking for 2 or so hours. First time was more successful than the last time but that may be due just to the specifics of the pork shoulder. Texture was great as was the bark. The second time was a bit drier. I have not tried at a lower temp yet.

When I SV for a long period of time, I always vacuum seal. I only use ziplocks for short cooks like a burger or steak.

Comment

The seams of Ziploc bags can fail at temperatures above 158degF, according to Chef Steps.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's more of a guideline than a hard rule. I've taken them up to 180 without problems, but for short cooks. (Corn). But for longer cooks, absolutely.

Ok, I took the time to read the link you sent Potkettleblack. I think I understand better what you are trying to tell me.

[QUOTE]The presence of myoglobin is what causes the meat to appear rare. We know that temperatures above 132F will cause the myoglobin to denature and lose its color. Time itself contributes to the dissipation of myoglobin as well, so a piece of beef processed for 48 hours will not appear to be as rare as a steak cooked for 12 hours, even at the lowest of acceptable temperatures.[QUOTE]

This is a great resource for SV. Thx

My big fail with SV so far is chicken thighs. Mine are coming out with sooo much red it is off putting. Not just around the bone, but on the outside too. Am I correct in my understanding then that a longer bath would fix this in chicken?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Thighs can go higher temp, too. Norm at SVR likes to do things at the lowest safe Baldwin temp. I think I do thighs at the ChefSteps temp.

Get as close to Potkettleblack 's reco as possible - in this case, the 145F given cultural constraints. I've done them a few ways at this point. As we all know, pork shoulder is pretty forgiving, but you want the meat moist.

Comment

shify fzxdoc Stop with the vacuum sealer!!! I'm trying my best to control my MCS addiction and I've got the vacuum sealer on the 'wait' list. Based on the brown salad I had for lunch today, I may have to bump it up though.

​​​​​​​I'm intrigued by Potkettleblack's link to sousvideresources.com and the concept of cooking at lower temps for longer times. I'm going to give that a shot which would solve my ziploc problem.

Has anyone else had issues with red meat in SV with chicken thighs or have experience with a longer cook and chicken?? Here is what sousvideresources.com says:

That being said, chicken achieves pasteurization @135F within 4 hours. Turkey takes longer, only because it is larger, so, usually 6 to 8 hours becomes the guideline. Some people process drumsticks and thighs longer, or higher, to achieve desired results, but this is optional. Tenderness is rarely an issue with poultry, but, the pinch test can still be applied as desired.I've got some thigh's in my freezer. I'm going to try 140 for 8 hours, given their frozen. Sound right?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Doesn't sound like anything could go wrong there. The aesthetics will remain to be seen.

So I finally ate the chicken thighs tonight that I cooked for 140 at 8 hours. They have been in the fridge for a few days after a big chill. I pulled them and seared them on the BBQ to bring them up to temp. Had some Alabama sauce left over from another cook. Nice supper.

But to the point of eliminating redness by cooking longer. It would seem that this did work. I realize that one cook isn't enough data to come to solid conclusions but....same chicken thigh package from Costco. Cooked from frozen as the previous batch. Cooked 8 hours instead of 1.5 hours and I couldn't find any traces of red meat. Still red around the bone, but waayyy less red meat.

Interesting, no?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            SV pulls off the Canadian Save! ;-)

Note that my wife's father's side is from up there, and I have the same "bloody" issue to deal with!

• Hugh
            Hugh commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL

We are a weird bunch.

I'm quickly becoming a Sous Vide biggot. As the weather cools up here, I'm really looking forward to indoor cooking for the first time.

H

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here