Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-vide container hack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-vide container hack...

I do most of my sous-vide in stock pots. I have two of them and they fit on my counter and work fine. Trouble is, for a big cook, they're just not quite enough. I've been looking into getting one of those fancy polycarbonate containers for a while but... the price. I certainly don't mind paying for cookware, but I feel like a lot of the specialized sous-vide containers with the specific size cutouts are way overpriced for what they are.

I have a big cooler already. I use it weekly when I make my runs to Costco. It's big. It's well insulated. In most cases it's exactly what I need for a big, long, cook. Trouble is, if I were to mount my water circulator the way it is supposed to be mounted, I'd have to fill the cooler pretty full and potentially make some modifications. No thanks. I want the cooler to remain a working cooler.

So, while browsing around the other day, I saw a fancy picture on Reddit and adapted it to my own cooler. What's especially nice is that I already had everything I needed on hand to do it and free is my favorite price. Basically, I cut a piece of foam insulation so it fit close to perfect in the cooler and then cut a notch out for my hand when I need to pull it up and another hole to balance the water circulator. It works like a charm and I now have a brisket ready for a 48-hour cook at 140ºF cook before it goes in the smoker.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by binarypaladin; September 10, 2017, 09:41 PM.

That's a great hack.

Comment

Very nicely done!

Comment

Clever

Comment

Very well done, and just downright clever.

Comment

I use a Coleman cooler very similar to that for large cooks, but hadn't thought of the foam board insert. I just cut out one of the cup holders which perfectly fit the Anova.

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Wonderful invention!

Comment

NEVER STOP GETTING BETTER!! Nice work dude!

Comment

I like that idea. I have a 7 quart slow cooker and I use the crock from it most of the time, but for a big cook this looks like a no-brainer.

Comment

If you're ambitious, I believe Anova has a stencil to cut a hole in the lid, if you want to dedicate the cooler to cooking.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Keep in mind, I modified something I saw. This was only sorta my idea.

I definitely don't want to modify the cooler, and with as large as mine is, I'd have to fill it pretty high if cutting a hole in the top. This method allows me to use my cooler as it is and modify the height to what I need based on the cook. I'm actually really happy with how this all worked.

Comment

hahaha I just did this the other day when I had a big piece of meat. Awesome man.

Comment

Cool mod. I have an RTic cooler that I will have to make a foam insert for. Thanks for sharing.
                            Last edited by hogdog6; September 12, 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Coolers are the very BEST way to do sous vide. have a couple. a small one for small cooks and a large one for parties. I love the Anova because it CAN be moved from container to container. so you can cook for any size group.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here