Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The big steak day - how long in the bath for an extra 10 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big steak day - how long in the bath for an extra 10 degrees?

I want to cook 2 steaks to 130 internal long enough to pasteurize them. I'll pull one and chill it and then up the bath temp quickly by adding hot water to cook the second one to 140 internal.

Anyone any idea how long it takes to raise the internal temp on the second steak by 10 degrees? I just need to increase the temp, not cook it for any longer.

By the way, I'm going to give myself an honorary certificate in BBQ and SV after this cook, I will have done all of my projects at least once

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to pasteurize a steak. All contaminates are only on the surface unless you have cut into the meat. Searing will kill all the nasty critters. Otherwise, eating a rare steak or possibly even a med rare steak would be unwise.

Comment

The good news is you can't "over" cook the steak... (any more than you are by going to 140F anyway).

However, you are heating from the outside, even if you're just raising it 10F, it will depend on the thickness. If you use a zipper bag on the second one and clip it's opening above the water line, you can probe it to see how long it takes. Based on a SWAG (S.. wild a.. guess), I'd say at least 10 minutes for 1" thick steak to get an even 140F.

But, you're doneness is determined by temperature and the tenderness by time, so if you went 20 minutes to be sure it was a consistent temperature all the way, it should be fine.

Comment

Thanks Ron. How long do you think to bring the temp up 10 degrees on the second steak?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd give it a half hour, but not based on any science.

I've actually got 3 steaks at 3 different temperatures, nothing is ever easy!!

Hi Ed, it might be time for me to try your cooking 'nekked' suggestion from earlier and as Kmhfive suggests here. It would make things easier to probe it when heated to the right temp.

I never even thought of texture Kmhfive.

Maybe the idea of cooking in the same pot and upping the temperature is just adding complexity.

Maybe it is just easier to cook each steak in a 1.5 hour bath individually, fast chill them and have them in the fridge ready to go.

Drop them all back in the hot tub say an hour at 125 before searing?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here