Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide-Que Gangnam Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide-Que Gangnam Style

I saw Galbi sauce and boneless spare ribs at the store and decided to go Korean (aka Gangnam Style) with this weekend's SV-Q.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gangnam Style - 5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	370382

I vac sealed the short ribs with the Galbi marinade and popped it in the fridge overnight.

Name:	Gangnam Style - 6.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	370383

Today these beauties took a swim in the HTTM at 131F for 6hrs. And then it was off to the Weber Kettle for some smoke and searing.

Name:	Gangnam Style - 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	370384

Name:	Gangnam Style - 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	370385

Dinner was served.

Name:	Gangnam Style - 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	370386

Name:	Gangnam Style - 4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	370387

Definitely a success and extremely tasty. The marinade was very good and delivered a flavor very similar to Galbi I've had in South Korea. The only drawback was that the meat was a wee bit tough. Not like chewy-hard-to-eat tough, but make sure you cut it cross-grain and in smaller pieces type of tough. It totally would have benefited from a few more hours in the hot tub. The next time I will probably give it 8-10 hours in the sous vide. All-in-all everyone enjoyed the meal and are looking forward to Gangnam Style leftovers tomorrow.

Wow. I gotta try this. Those ribs look awesome.
    Funny my first thought was were they tender enough. But you answered that. A few more hours in the bath and they would probably melt in your mouth.
    Nice job brother.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Definitely worth a try with adding the extra time in the tub. I was just guessing at how long it would take to be tender, but still have enough texture to be seared. Almost made it Still a real tasty meal.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet T-bone
      And really sweet. Just looked at you avatar. How cool was that. Hanging with THE MAN.

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B it was great getting to meet Meathead in person while he was in town last year for the National Capital BBQ Cookoff. He's awesome. We had a great time talking about que. Also, we got front row seats for his presentation. All in all, definitely a great day.

Beautiful!

Comment

Good stuff. Yup, a little more time in the tub and low n slew and your were golden. Looks tasty though.

Comment

Here are some notes from previous discussions. Not sure who the contributor of the first one is, but I'd try both the low and high temp alternatives.

=== Beef short ribs

I didn’t give up and did a final try: 48 hours at 57C/135F. Wow! Amazing taste, very juicy and tender. I now completely understand all the raves on eGullet! And now that I have read some more on the forum, I’ve noticed that 48 hours at 57C/135F is also what is recommended there most often. So perhaps I should have started with that in the first place. Oh well…

Now how about some smoke, says Ed?

From the brisket recipe above, 24 -36 hours at 135, cool, then smoke a couple / three hours to intended bark at 275-300 (seems high to Ed).

---
        Breadhead says:

I would recommend dry brining them overnight in your SV bag in the fridge. Then the next day SV them to 170° for 6 or 8 hours. Cold shock them in ice water (in the bag) and put them in the fridge.Then that day or the next day take them out of the bag, blot them dry, put on some beef love or canola oil and apply your rub. Put them in your smoker at 225° and cook them until you get a good bark, about 5 hours roughly. Test them with your temp probe. When they're soft like buttah, about 195°/200°, they’re done.

Taking them to 170° in the hot tub leaves you 25° to 30° additional cooking time in the smoker to add the smoke flavor and enough time to build the crust.

Breadhead revised:

165 for 72 hours, ice and fridge overnight, followed by ~5 hours on the smoker. The SV time in this one makes the texture like braised meat.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy, breadhead gets all the love when my Sous Vide game is stronger. 72x135! None of this hot hot cook.

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Great comments! Thanks EdF and Potkettleblack!

Looks great!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here