Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time between SV and Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time between SV and Sear

I have a nice USDA Prime Tri-tip from Costco. It was frozen and is now thawing. I plan on dry brining this evening, then vacuum seal and Sous Vide on Monday.
    Once it is done in the hot tub I will fast chill and put back into the fridge.
    Now, the question... how long can I keep it in the fridge before I finish on a grill? Ideally I would like to finish the cook next Saturday (so it would be 5 days in the fridge).
    Is this safe? Comments/suggestions welcome!!!

SV Tri tip is my go to roast. The size is perfect as there are just the two of us at home now.

I just recently did one and it was 5 days in the fridge before finishing. To finish I'll apply my rub and then I bring it up to 115 internal in the smoker set at 225. You can use smoke if you want but that is a personal choice. I go with red oak. Once you hit 115 fire up the grill or chimney to warp 10, add some beef love and finish it off 45-60 seconds per side.

I also dry brine my tri tips before I vacuum seal and freeze them. That way you can drop them into the bath directly.

Comment

Easy on the salt for the brine, drain and strain the purge, shock down to chill asap in ice bath. For ultimate freshness reseal (vac) toss in fridge. Throw it back in water bath next Sunday to 115°- 120°, roll out and add rub and Sear.

Or bring up to temp with smoke as stated above. But once chilled I would re vac seal and toss in fridge.

it will be delicious.

Comment

Thanks rodkeary and HouseHomey . Good advice!

Comment

Yeah don't miss that beef love. That is now my favorite thing to add to steaks before searing. I wish I had done it earlier. I did this while I was fishing in Canada. I simply trimmed the fat from the steaks we brought up, then I rendered it down in a cast iron skillet. We had steaks one night, but there was a problem, all I had was salt and some other off seasonings in the rustic cabin. So beef love came to the rescue. It really helped to amp up the flavor, everyone loved it.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Somehow I knew that CI would play a central role!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You knew it would! EdF

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Consistency among friends is a comforting thing!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here