Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS or practicality?...a vacuum sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there are only two of you, a vacuum sealer will be well worth the price. Not only can you freeze portioned meat, but you can make a large pot of spaghetti sauce, or soup, or just about anything and vacuum seal meal sized portions.A vacuum bag of frozen spaghetti sauce in a pot of boiling water on a night when you are tired can be a life -er - meal saver.

Comment

I use it!

Comment

I use mine a lot, but as a fisherman I think that is expected. I also buy bulk cuts of meat, like family packs of steaks and vacuum seal those. You can find plenty of uses. I'd recommend spending more than the low cost option.

Comment

Since the kid moved out there is just the two of us left when cooking. I still like to take advantage of bulk buying (Costco etc.) and I'm 100% into SV cooking.

My rule of thumb is:

Ziplock-water displacement method for fresh meats/fish that will be cooked in a day or two.

Vacuum sealer (Foodsaver) for meats that will be frozen before cooking or leftovers. Reheating via SV is brilliant.

Comment

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            As my life hero, Erma Bombeck, once said, "Life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies."

Hugh... Get a Foodsaver.

Outstanding feedback as usual folks. You will be shocked but I am leaning towaeds buying one

Comment

I predict that once you finally buy one you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long. I mostly end up using ziplocs when I SV something, but the extended freezer life of vacuum sealed foods alone is enough to justify the sealer.

Comment

• Hugh
              Hugh commented
              Editing a comment
              Nobody has talked about longer fridge life. Supposedly Beef and Poultry are safe in your fridge for 2 days traditionally. With vacuum it is safe for 2 weeks.

I just assumed folks would use the fridge more with vacuum, but it sounds like everyone prefers the freezer.

Anova (no frills/wifi) SV with vacuum saver. Works wonders. Use it a ton. Including when I went hiking, I portioned out my clothes for each day so they wouldn't get wet and saved a ton of space.

Comment

Important: Squish or mold the bags flat before vacuum sealing and they will freeze and thaw quickly. Pulled pork just as good as fresh is 3-5 microwave minutes away (poke a hole on the bag before heating).

Also portion and freeze bulk meats and they go straight into the SV machine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7714.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	369253

Comment

• Hugh
                Hugh commented
                Editing a comment
                You may have solved my reheating problem at work. Are SV bags safe for reheating in the microwave? Now that would be some lunch - pulled pork and a bun...

There is only two of us for a lot of my cooks and I'm the main carnivore. I'd be lost without my food saver. IMHO my food saver is a product that does pay for itself due to less wasted food.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here