Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Portherouse Finished on Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Portherouse Finished on Slow 'N Sear

2" thick, 3.5lb Prime aged porterhouse

Dry brined and vacuum packed the night before. 2.5 Hours in the bath at 130deg immediately followed by the "cold grate" technique on the Slow 'N Sear. I tried the cold grate in order to avoid excessive flareups that have plagued my inferno searing in the past. There were no flareups this time but I didn't get the level of browning I was hoping for. In the end I finished with a propane torch. Results were excellent but it the steak got slightly above medium rare during the searing process.

In the end it fed 4 adults and 2 young children.

Sealed Up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7470.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	362430

Bathing:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7474.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	362431

Searing:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_44711.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	362432

Finished:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7483.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	362428

Sliced:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7485.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	362429

Looking wonderful

Comment

That's one serious porterhouse. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
        That's one serious porterhouse. Nice job.
        When it comes to meat, I'm always serious.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm the same way. I don't fool around when buying meat.

Originally posted by adamjs83 View Post

Dry brined and vacuum packed the night before. 2.5 Hours in the bath at 130deg immediately followed by the "cold grate" technique on the Slow 'N Sear ... Results were excellent but it the steak got slightly above medium rare during the searing process.
        Shock that thing for 10 minutes in 50-50 solution of ice and water directly after the SV, before applying the the cold grate. You will be able to keep it on the sear for longer without overcooking the center. You will also reduce banding.

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
          Shock that thing for 10 minutes in 50-50 solution of ice and water directly after the SV, before applying the the cold grate. You will be able to keep it on the sear for longer without overcooking the center. You will also reduce banding.
          I will definitely try that.

Comment

Great steak!

Comment

That may actually be the best way to deal with the uneven characteristics of the loin and tenderloin halves of a porterhouse.

Comment

A job well done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here