Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden Voyage. Anova + smoke and sear on the new S'nS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden Voyage. Anova + smoke and sear on the new S'nS

I got these steaks yesterday from Costco( pays to know the meat manager by name.) and decided we are going to cook them up tomorrow. This will be my first time using the Anova ( first time sous viding anything) and the S'nS so looking for suggestions. I will have about 15 hours in which I can cook these up. What I was thinking was cooking them to a perfect medium rare, the chilling them so I can give them a little smoke and a nice seat later in the day. The steaks are about 2 - 2 1/2" thick each. I'm going to cook up some sweet potatos and asparagus on the griddle while I'm finishing the steaks off.

Imgoing to run a full chimney tonight to season the new grill and learn its temps. Any tips would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	478242E1-0858-4B9D-9C4B-80E2DA0E32A0.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	347369

Those steaks are incredible! My advice for using your SnS on a steak is follow ABC's lighting instructions and technique for steak searing with the SnS. Since you want to SV them, read up on Clint Cantwell's "The Big Chill" article which will spell out exactly what to do in your case.

Comment

• TwisTEDinLV
      TwisTEDinLV commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link Huskee. I'll be reading this on my break.

Beautiful. I got nothing… I've never seen meat that nice.

I'd love to see how it turns out, though!

Comment

• TwisTEDinLV
      TwisTEDinLV commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post a thread when I get done and link it here.

Huskee totally hooked you up. I think I heard a mic drop. Pics please. Sweet bajeebers are those great looking steaks!!i

Two things and that's all I got as Huskee did all the work for us.

1. If you are doing all of this "new" perhaps don't worry about the smoke and eliminate that variable from the many you already have. Look at that meat, it's not gonna taste bad.

2. I like an Idaho or even Yukon Gold to stand up to that fatty elixir of life. Sweet potato Meh... IMHO.

we now return to your regularly scheduled prigamming and continue with "Heidi."

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Boom! Get it? Boom.

• TwisTEDinLV
      TwisTEDinLV commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking tomorrow might just be a reverse sear with a single small chunk of apple. And do the other three steaks for some friends Sunday.

As for the potato, I know, I just am not allowed them any more. Can't eat something that scores a 104 of the Glysimic Index.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet potatoes for everyone!!

So I skipped the smoke (today) and just did theSsous Vide 'n Sear... it was great. Here's the run down.

Dry brined the steaks at 1/2 tsp a pound for about 6 hours. Then washed it off ( is this necessary with this little

Name:	IMG_0299.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	347922

I Sous Vide for 1.25 hour at 129°. That made it so soft and flavorful.

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	347923

I took the two 5.5 oz steaks out and dried them. I put a light spray of oil on them and dusted them with some fresh cracked black pepper. I put the 3 9.5 oz steaks in an ice bath so I can do a reverse sear on them tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	347927

I started the coals at 15 minutes left in the bath.

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	347926

I seared the steaks for 30-45 seconds a side 4 flips.

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	347931

I may have made some Yukon golds ( small ones ), asparagus and a scotch mushroom sauce ( no sauce, I just wanted the mushrooms they come out so good. )

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	347930

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	347925

It came out perfect. I cut the last two pieces in to the smallest bites I think I have ever had just to make it keep going.

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	347928

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	347929

Thanks everyone one for your help on my fist cook.
    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful. Just beautiful!

Comment

Great lookin' steaks, and great lookin' cook.

Comment

Great job! Definitely looks like a winner.

A way to get some smoke on the steaks with minimal effort is to use a 6" smoking tube and put the SV'd steaks on the grill with the smoking tube and cover while the coals are heating up. 20-30 mins with the smoking tube before searing adds a nice smoke flavor. This method is now demanded by the fam when steaks are on the menu.

Comment

Wow! This was a great cook. I can't believe I missed this one. As someone that is new to SV, what did you think of the flavor?

I picked up my Joule about 9 months ago. I like SV, but I don't do it much. I am trying to work it back into my cooking regimen. After seeing this post, I need to get on that!

Comment

• TwisTEDinLV
              TwisTEDinLV commented
              Editing a comment
              I love rare to medium rare steaks, normally that flavor is burnt out of traditional grilled steaks with the temp gradient. I have to say these where awesome. I will have to up the temp just a bit though. I think 122-125 should put me perfect after the searing to make my "that's bloody" family happy.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool man! Thanks for your input. Are you going to use run it the amount of time in the bath. Or give a longer soak? TwisTEDinLV

• TwisTEDinLV
              TwisTEDinLV commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker If I get as marble a piece of beef as I did this time I will keep the time the same. As the quality goes down I'll add more time to give it a chance to tenderize.

I cooked up the last 3 9.5 oz steaks. They chilled for about 16 hours, then I reverse seared then with a chunk of Hickory to add a little smoke. The SnS did a great job of holding 225-237 the whole cook. It made it to 115 a lot faster than I expected (36 minutes from 39°) seared 1 minute a side x4 for a great seat all across.

Flavor was phenomenal, texture not so much. What should have been fork tender was actually JELLO. They where wiggling on the plates. The bites literally devolved in the mouth like jello. It was very off putting. I think it was a function of both the amount of marbeling and the cook chill reheat that caused it. I think with a normal good ribeye the technique will work fine, but with this thing I think it just liquified all the fat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	349241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	349240

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here