Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is how to cheer me up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how to cheer me up.

Look what came while I was out shopping. And look what I found at Costco. Hmmm... I do like pork chops but... "one of these things are not like the other." EdF here's the details how long to braise pork belly in the magic machine? Breadhead ???? FlaBouy ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7626.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	346266

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7624.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	346267
    Attached Files

Why do those "loin chops" look like very high quality belly? I'm confused!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      With bellies, I just put them on the smoker for a couple of hours to 150 internal. But if this is belly and sliced like that, it's going to be a bit more challenging. You could try 145 or so in the SV for a few hours, then sear them?

Yeah, I know - "precision cooking"! ;-)

EdF right! That's a spicious looking package. I grabbed it in a hurry! Considering the belly was bout 2x higher I decided I like these chops they are big, thick pieces of belly as you see them. It is not sliced like bacon. It's almost 6lbs with 5 pieces.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooooooo! MMD and Pork Belly burnt ends…. Dessert!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's got possibilities there!

Talk about thick cut bacon. Dang.

Comment

I think this is what kmhfive is referring to.
      Pork Belly Burnt Ends Recipe - Pork belly smoked, then cooked with butter and brown sugar until tender. Finished with a Sweet Glaze.

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmm. Mmmmm. Good!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh snap! That looks amazing. For now, I have a meat loaf on the Weber with pecan 7 day salted and dry aged chuck, by accident

Could it be, they've grown bacon chops??

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Chops! Ha!Ha! That's funny. Maybe they make a tree too!

The beauty of SV is that you can get different consistencies out of the same cut.

If you want belly with mostly rendered fat and meat that falls apart, cook at 70-75 C / 160-170 F for 8-12 hours. This is similar to smoking it low and slow (or braising) to 95 C / 203 F plus. To sear it, either do it beforehand or chill completely before removing from the bag (it'll break apart very easily). Once cooked it'll pull under its own weight.

If you want belly with soft and glistening but noticeable fat and tender meat, cook at 68 C / 155 F for 6-8 hours. The meat is going to be juicier than is possible with smoking, but the fat is less rendered. Be careful if you handle it while hot because it might break, but with a good spatula you should be able to give it a great sear; once cooked you can still slice it, but it's easier to just break it into chunks with a fork.

If you want steak-like belly that has some chew left in it but is totally soft and pillowy, cook it at 60 C / 140 F for 6-8 hours. The fat will be soft but still mostly there, and the meat will be the texture of medium-rare loin. It should be fairly easy to handle and sear all the way to 11. If you cool it completely you can slice it into super-thick "fresh" bacon that takes really well to pan-searing.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for that. I've been guessing until I find a resource. Breadhead gave me one last night I'm yet to check out. I'm gonna pull it now, I'm on 10 + hours at 1560°F (actually went 11.5 hours) it's in the ice bath now.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; July 13, 2017, 08:02 AM. Reason: Update

• dtassinari
        dtassinari commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know what you think about the way it turned out!

Wait. Lets start at the begining. Since when do you HouseHomey ever need cheering up?
      You seem to be the most jollyest guy in da pit!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        We lost a family pet this week. We are all good though.. I appreciate the compliment. Yep, I'm generally a happy camper.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to hear of your loss. HouseHomey We've been through this as well.

Sounds like you got a few great suggestions. Let us know which way you cook that. Pics always appreciated.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Rookie SV here. It actually went 11.5 hours @156°F it's in the ice bath now.

I would respond, but I think the middle pic has me hypnotized....

Comment

I can't wait to see the results HouseHomey ! I'll bet it's gonna taste outta sight!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here