Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to sear?

Hi Guys & Gals of the Pit

I am looking to see the best way to get a great sear on a SV cook. My gasser (Weber Genesis) doesnt seem to get hot enough to get a great crust and my cast iron pans sometimes work, but are kinda small, and they don't hold heat well to sear multiple things quickly. I don't like to use coals for it, since it seems a bit wasteful (to me) to light coals and only use for one minute.

I have recently read about the baking steel griddle, which is a 3/8" thick chunk of steel, which would hold heat well for searing (once you heat up forever), but am also curious about using the flat side grill grates, do they get hot enough on a gas grill?

What do you guys use and recommend? Do you think that steel is overkill? Would grill grates make a big difference?

Thanks!

Grillgrates are great! Cast Iron is fantastic! Slow n Sear is really good. The BGE, set up properly is tremendous. The best and easiest is your charcoal starter. Bottom line... they all work really good.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh?🤔

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      From Nietsche: Thus spoke the Sear Master! (It was a compliment).

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Mr EdF ...👍

My favorite method is the SnS, right over the coals. 2nd favorite is a grate on a full Weber chimney starter. Last weekend I had the best ribeye I've ever tasted using the SnS.

Comment

All of the above work really well. I prefer something using charcoal. The SNS or the chimney both work well.

Comment

Big fan of the chimney or BGE method myself.

Comment

The entertainment factor of the chimney method FTW!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2231.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	344773 I don't use gas, but GrillGrates really work.

Comment

• smiliepolarbear
              smiliepolarbear commented
              Editing a comment
              I always thought that the heat from the chimney was too hot for a GrillGrate. It doesn't warp or melt the aluminum?

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure there is a "too hot", but if you are quick with the meat, you are removing heat from the grates. I've not had an issue. I guess if you put the grates on and walk away, they could get hot enough to warp.

Grillgrates just work... regardless how you get them hot! But so does Cast Iron. But there really is a sweet spot.

There's not hot enough and there's too hot.

The goal has to be that sweet "dark mahogany brown", not black, not light brown!

When people that don't understand grilling say... that's a beautiful steak... you nailed it!

Comment

If I'm lighting coals for searing I try to plan the meal around the coals. While the steaks are in the bath, brine some zucchini, carrots or some other fast cooking vegetables. Maybe make a quick naan bread to grill. Get some corn shucked. Most grilled veg doesn't have to be piping hot when it's served. By the time the steak is rested and dried from the bath you can give it a quick sear and have the rest of the meal prepared. You won't feel as bad if you use the coals for the whole meal.

Comment

For high volume searing you can't beat flipped Grill Grates on a gasser. You can get to 600-800°F surface temp in 10 minutes or so.

For smaller stuff, custom Grill Grates over the SnS work beautifully. Just put the GGs over the SnS about 10 minutes into Step 1 of reverse searing (the 40 minute low and slow part) and finish them off on the GG when ready.

Or forget the GGs and do Dave's Cold Grate Reverse Seared Steak method ( David Parrish ) which is BBQ perfection.

Kathryn

P.S. The best thing about GGs is that you no longer have to fear the flareup.

Comment

I bought 1 section of the GGs griddle for my gasser. It works very well and I can minimize any flare ups since there are not any holes (compared to flipping over the standard GGs). Having a solid surface is also a plus.

Comment

Using an inverted chimney starter will reduce the amount of charcoal used - just make sure you fill it. And after you are done, you can put the charcoal in a small metal can with a lid and snuff it out. Then you can reuse it next time:

https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-6106-...ucket+with+lid

If you are grillin' on a wood deck, set the can on something heatproof.

Comment

Charcoal chimney with GG for Cobb Grill

I also have a BBQ Dragon to get it done faster.

Comment

I've got an old Weber Q100 that I put 2 sections of Grill Grates on and crank it up. Seared a ribeye tonight and it was perfect. Measured the temp on the flat side at about 560. Simple and quick, even on a "miniature" gasser.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here