Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bags for Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Hantover, they sell a lot of different vacuum bags

Comment

fzxdoc vandy Spinaker Breadhead cosmo Thanks everyone for the the foodsaver recommendations, problem is that I bought a foodsaver system about 6 years ago for vacuum sealing hops and it was junk - and I didn't even have to cook with it. It was a V3431. The bags typically lost their vacuum seal within 30 days. I'd rate it 6/10 and that is probably generous. If someone can recommend a vacuum sealer system that they would feel comfortable giving a 9/10, I'd consider it. Thanks.

Comment

jgaepi ...

I've only ever had 1 vacuum sealer. It is a Foodsaver brand. I've NEVER experienced a problem of any kind with it at all. I do double seal each end of the bag for big clods of meat for long cooks. I'm certainly no expert but having used this device for a couple of years with ZERO failures I give it 10 out of 10 rating.
        Attached Files

Comment

I just ordered a food saver vacuum system. I will take the advice of others on here and double seal the food. Once I've used it several times, I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

The biggest problem with FoodSaver is the cost of their bags and rolls of bag making material. There are third party options out there that are much more cost effective. I've used this one from Amazon for a couple of years with no problems at all: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead - I save the cardboard core from the empty original roll then wind on the new roll (using tape to anchor it to the cardboard core). There is only enough room for about 1/3 roll of the new material at a time. I don't cut them off by hand ... instead use the built in cutter.

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mike... I'm going to order them today.πŸ‘

Originally posted by jgaepi View Post
            fzxdoc vandy Spinaker Breadhead cosmo Thanks everyone for the the foodsaver recommendations, problem is that I bought a foodsaver system about 6 years ago for vacuum sealing hops and it was junk - and I didn't even have to cook with it. It was a V3431. The bags typically lost their vacuum seal within 30 days. I'd rate it 6/10 and that is probably generous. If someone can recommend a vacuum sealer system that they would feel comfortable giving a 9/10, I'd consider it. Thanks.
            Expensive, but it's good: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary...VMASVP112.html

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure that's a high quality product, but I'm a cheap SOB.πŸ€— I like to get the job done for under $99.95.πŸ€‘

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, you go through enough 99.95-ers, you start realizing there may be a better way. I killed three of the suckers.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you EdF ... sometimes spending 5 times as much is a bargain.πŸ‘

Since this thread has evolved a bit to include discussion of vacuum sealers along with the bags, I'll ask my question here.
            Does anyone know if the Foodsaver FM2000 will vacuum and seal bags containing meats with a lot of moisture, such as
            a meat in marinade? Just bought another brand of sealer and missed the warning that it wasn't to be used with
            very wet contents. Made a real mess! Would like to avoid that with the next one.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
            Last edited by theroc; July 30, 2017, 03:00 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Comment

• theroc
              theroc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks kmhfive. Was hoping to be able to bag up the meat with a bit of marinade then drop it in water, so wasn't keen on
              getting the marinade containers. I'm wondering if others freeze their marinades and meat first?

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              theroc, if you made your marinade ahead of time and froze it in an ice cube tray, you could add just what you needed for each piece of meat, seal it up and let it thaw out in the vacuum bag.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Costco has a new Foodsaver.... model #5480 for $149 that has that feature.πŸ‘

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here